Announcing InvestChat (previously known as InvestEd)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 16th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Already is - Business :D

I probably could brand it better.

My intention is that people looking to start a business or seeking information on funding their venture would go to Business Finance | BusinessChat for advice (demand side), while people looking to invest in business or supply funding for other ventures would go to Business | InvestChat (supply side).

Now that I look at it again, I definitely need to brand it better ... will get right on to that.

Redwing and Player like this.
  2. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Like many PCers who visit this thread, I'm learning about shares to balance a very property heavy approach. Will certainly try to remember 2 sites but I like the 'other asset classes' thread in a property focussed forum as it allows everyone to jump across many platforms, rather than remembering to move across to another forum.

Anyway, keen to see how it progresses and will hopefully remember to keep reading both forums to keep up a broad knowledge.

Observer, MTR and Brady like this.
  3. Simon Hampel

I spent a lot of nights staring at the ceiling trying to decide whether to merge all my sites into one or keep them separate.

I eventually decided to go the Property/Business/Investment trio because property is a broad enough topic to justify its own site and the others will eventually grow into their own communities with only a bit of crossover between them.

There are a lot of people who are very passionate about their shares/ETFs/LICs investing who wouldn't hang out on a property forum, so by giving them their own site in InvestChat, we get a broader cross-section of opinion and contribution than we otherwise would have from just the community here on PropertyChat.

Similarly with BusinessChat - I expect we'll eventually see the majority of the community made up of people who are mainly focused on their business activities and aren't going to hang out on a property forum.

So while I do expect some crossover between the various communities - I certainly don't think it will be the majority of members.

Perhaps we'll need an aggregation site which allows you to search all of the sites at once ... maybe I'll call it ChatChat? :p

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Don't know what's happening with this. But I just started including specific Links from here where applicable and add them to my posts on InvestChat. All pretty easy.

There's nothing to stop any of us including links from here on the new site. No that I've started posting over there I do like being able to link specific stuff from here in a much more organised manner on InvestChat. Lots easier to find stuff now. And when I click on "recent posts" I don't get nearly all property related stuff. Great for those like me that don't do property anymore.

Cheers

5. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

thanks for organizing the LIC thead over at InvestChat @austing ! :)

Simon Hampel likes this.
  6. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Great News! I have been feeling a bit of a fraud posting on this forum as I no longer have any IP's but have increased my share portfolio ... :)

willair and Jess Peletier like this.
  7. OscarBravo

OscarBravo Well-Known Member

In my opinion, no, not at all. There are some forums that cater to long term investing that are great but unfortunately the loudest voice on most investing forums can drown out considered discussion.

I’ve always found the most interesting communities online are sub communities of bigger ones – for example, the investing and LIC crowd here being a subset of the a property forum. Tends to attract less drongos for some reason, and there is a really respectful, considered, and valuable series of discussions that occur here. I’ve signed up over at investchat but I hope you guys will consider remaining here.

Redwing, Observer and MTR like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Love this Aussie expression "drongos" not heard that for a while..... I agree with you.

I guess this topic will attract those specifically interested in this strategy, perhaps making it exclusive, which is good. I have read posts by some of those mentioned and they are respected because they are knowledgeable, generous and treat members with respect... great to see:)

Last edited: 23rd Sep, 2016
    orangestreet likes this.
  9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I found this trading oriented post on InvestChat:

What got you into investing in shares? (Click on the quoted section)

Some "drongo" replied to it with a stupid insensitive remark. Oops just realised it was me:D.

Well there goes any respectibility I might have had out the window:oops:.

Redwing and OscarBravo like this.
  10. OscarBravo

OscarBravo Well-Known Member

How do I keep my stout from exploding all over the laundry? :confused:

11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Well you saw my answer to that:). Even more respectable responce:oops:. Certainly don't sit it on the washing machine when it's operating. The "law of vibration" will kick in big time:D.

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well done with the site Sim,i joined that site in late 2009,very smart to link it all..

Simon Hampel and Nodrog like this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Finally logged in (I had an old account with InvestEd apparently). Looking forward to learn.... like I haven't spent enough time here :confused:

Simon Hampel likes this.
  14. big max

big max Well-Known Member

I tried to join. Was rejected from signing up as a "suspicious applicant". :)

Redwing and Perthguy like this.
  15. Simon Hampel

That's because you were connecting from Thailand - like many spambots do.

Are you actually in Thailand? If so, I can temporarily disable the anti-spambot geo-blocks.

If you're just using a VPN, try connecting directly from Australia to register - once you're registered, you'll be fine to post from wherever.

16. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Oh I see. Ok I'll try. Im travelling, not based in Thailand!

Damn spammers are a nuisance huh? Glad you keep them out. (I'm curious - I presume India, and certain African and European countries also blocked for same reason?)

17. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Suspicious, a property guru from the Gold Coast. Never.:p:D

Player, big max and wylie like this.
  18. Simon Hampel

Not surprising you aren't actually in Thailand - IP geo-location is not an exact science - who owns the addresses and where they are physically used keeps changing!

Yes, just the main spam sources are all blocked, so YMMV.

The posts you're making right now here on PC are showing as being from Europe - and the specific country should not be blocked (mostly just eastern-bloc countries in Europe are blocked), so you should be able to register - I'll just need to manually approve it.

big max likes this.
  19. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

If you are traveling and having issues with Geo-block you can sign up for free VPN trials. They vary from 7 to 30 days or maybe even longer then connect to an Aussie server. There are a lot of them so if you are gone for a few months you can spread your trials over a few.

20. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Gold Coast is merely a sunny place for shady people. :D

Now, where did I put my white shoes and thick gold chains? :oops:

turk likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.