Announcing InvestChat (previously known as InvestEd)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 16th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I am delighted to relaunch the site formerly known as InvestEd as a new online community for investors called InvestChat.

InvestChat :: Australian Investment and Wealth Management Community

Please read my welcome post here: Welcome to InvestChat

If you previously had a member account on InvestEd, your account has been migrated across, along with all post content. If you can't remember your username, try the forgotten password facility. If all else fails, email [email protected] to help you get back into your account.

InvestChat is about investing across all asset classes, including shares, managed funds, ETFs, real estate, even business. It covers topics such as superannuation and self managed super funds, insurance, estate planning, and more.

So there is a small crossover between the topics on PropertyChat and InvestChat, but I really only include the real estate discussions there for completeness, or for discussion in the context of portfolio structuring (eg using shares and property together in your portfolio).

We're working through the old content on the site now and cleaning up a bit of spam and advertising which has crept in over recent years.

I'm really excited to finally get this site upgraded and relaunched - it's been neglected for far too long.

Last edited: 3rd Oct, 2016
    L3ha7, TaylorChang, oki doki and 5 others like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

FAQ: can I use my PropertyChat login details on InvestChat?

InvestChat is a separate website - you will need to register a new account if you didn't already have one on the old InvestEd website.

If you link your PropertyChat and InvestChat accounts with your social media logins, you can get logged in to both sites automatically.

Just go here: https://www.propertychat.com.au/community/account/external-accounts to link to your Facebook, Twitter and/or Google accounts and once linked, you'll be able to log in to PropertyChat instantly provided you are already logged in to your social media account on your computer.

Note that this is only used for login to this site - we don't post to your social media accounts at any time.

The link for InvestChat is here: https://www.investchat.com.au/community/account/external-accounts
    For BusinessChat users, go here: https://www.businesschat.com.au/community/account/external-accounts

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I don't know whether I have time in my life for another Forum.

PC takes up so much time now that it is putting stress on my marriage :) :). I don't know whether the wife will accept two Forums in our lives.

Well done Simon. I will have to log on using my InvestEd details and see how I go.

Phantom, L3ha7, Westminster and 5 others like this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

There's a bit of that going around ;)

Indeed, all the best for the new site.

kierank likes this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Thanks for having a go at this again Sim.

But I don't know if I want to go back there. Would be alright if members took note of the word "INVEST" but like so many of these share oriented sites traders take over. God forbid if Troppo still hangs out there I won't go near it.

I will watch to see what happens for awhile before posting there. The other assets section on PC has been good as it slips under the radar of most trading fanatics.

6. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

forum rules says:

1. add value to the community
    2. be nice to each other
    :D

Colin Rice, Gockie and House like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Well if Troppo's still there I've broken one of the above rules before even joining and hence I'm probably already banned from joining.

8. Simon Hampel

Yeah, I admit that I've kind of let the site go in recent years. I do plan on being much more actively involved from now on.

There's plenty of sites out there for traders - I'm not interested in trying to compete with them. That being said - trading is still a valid activity for generating cashflow to allow you to invest more.

But it's like the commercial vs residential or the cashflow vs capital growth and other arguments we have on here - there's a time and a place for them, but forcing your point of view in every thread isn't going to add value.

I will be encouraging people to move these discussions over to InvestChat.

9. Simon Hampel

Hehe - expressing your dislike for what someone posts isn't necessarily a personal attack.

Colin Rice likes this.
  10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Of course. I was a keen trader myself at one stage. Trouble is the poor investors generally get lost in the crowd. Will see what happens.

Christ I just had a look at InvestChat, he's still there. And if I can't discuss non-property stuff here anymore it looks l'll be having a long break from forums.

11. Simon Hampel

I didn't say you couldn't post here, just that I will be encouraging people to post there instead :D

I admit I haven't read any of his posts recently - I'll take a look and try and rein him in if he's being a bit too dogmatic about stuff.

12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I must admit it would be brilliant if finally a quality INVESTING site could become popular and successful in Australia. Overseas even including Canada (which has a number of similarities to Australia) there are excellent investing sites. I just can't understand why in the past there hasn't been more interest in Australia.

But the trader domination has spoiled things at times for those wanting to discuss INVESTING. I suppose that's why there has been some excellent discussion about INVESTING on SOMERSOFT and PROPERTYCHAT. Members on these sites typical have a investing mentality and longer term focus. I'm just hoping that InvestChat can attract these types of members.

Perhaps post FOFA with the hugely increased interest in ETFs, LICs, and income strategies etc there will be enough interested in this stuff to enable InvestChat to become successful.

I admit I'm being unfairly harsh when what you're trying to do is a great thing. Anyhow I'll try to put aside past memories of InvestEd and look to the future and cautiously see how InvestChat progress.

Westminster and trinity168 like this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Harsh? Perhaps. Unfair? No - not unfair at all, quite justified I feel.

I freely (and regretfully) admit to neglecting InvestEd - we rode the pre-GFC boom and grew fantastically well, but in the post-GFC years, traffic dropped, advertising revenue dried up and my focus moved to other things.

The site has depressed me for years - both from seeing what it had been at its peak, and then what it had become, compounded by my inability to find the time or energy to fix it and invest what is required to get it back on track.

A large part of that was technical limitations - because of the way I'd customised the site, it has been very much a non-trivial exercise to migrate to a new software platform. It's only because of the work I've done over the past 15 months on PropertyChat that I've been able to get the new site rebuilt so quickly - I've been able to reuse a lot of code and have already solved many of the problems I faced when building the new site.

Your comments and concerns are some of the reasons we decided to rebrand - to put some of the legacy of the site behind us and start afresh with a renewed vision and clarity that was lacking before.

Now that I've got a framework (based on the model I've developed for PropertyChat) for how I want to run the site, I think it will be much easier to keep things under control. I've already posted to that effect - New Forum Rules ... and I do fully intend to enforce those rules and have already appointed my first moderator who has been flooding me with reported posts for spam and DFP assignment swapping which I am busy cleaning up now.

So please, do give us a chance to transform the site into something much more than what InvestEd had become - but also please do challenge me and give me your honest feedback about what needs to change and what can be improved now that we are InvestChat.

I'm genuinely excited about the site for the first time in many years.

14. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I really liked the contents that was on PC on this subject, be a shame to see it go. Honestly probably never would have read any of it unless it was here. Will have to consider the 2nd forum - but as per above spend too much time on here already :)

Chris Au likes this.
  15. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Oh I hope it won't turn into another Hotcopper ...... Then again they are getting floated.

16. Simon Hampel

Not a chance - I'm aiming for a very different dynamic to what you see on most of those share forums.

17. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I personally prefer the ETF, LIC and ASX threads here. Great contributions from @austing, @The Falcon and a few others.

Might drop by the revamped site though and see how it goes.

Observer, Anne11 and Brady like this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Exactly, over run by traders many of whom like to sound smart but lose more than they win. Don't get me wrong a small number of traders are exceptional (I've known a couple) but the majority are indulging in a mugs game much to the delight of the few who really know how to profit from these mugs.

@Simon Hampel mentiond the following:
    Therein lies the big problem. Trading and "true" Investing are light years apart. I think why INVESTING forums have failed in the past is when they try to accomodate both. Inevitably the traders will take over.

I went over to InvestChat earlier in good faith and to be supportive in posting something on the LIC thread but looked back at some of the responses by a particular individual and just felt I couldn't do it. Ideally the best solution would be to copy the entire LIC, ETF and other popular threads to InvestChat and continue from there. I and others have put a lot of effort into trying to make the PC LIC thread successful. My concern is that all this hard work could be undone by one or more egotistical trading nutters. At my age I just don't have the patience for this type of behaviour anymore.

I'll keep trying to get myself to post on the new site in an effort to be supportive, but really am struggling based on what was mentioned above.

What do others here think? Am I being stupid and intolerant?

19. Simon Hampel

Moderation can manage this. We haven't really had real moderators on InvestEd before now. That's already changed.

Don't write it off yet please - and don't judge the new site based on what has happened before today - I'm looking to start afresh.

Anne11 likes this.
  20. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

I will follow the posters :) to me i am comfortable here, and would prefer not to have to check in 2 places.

The quality of posters and their honest genuine positive attitudes are hard to find.

Will try to check out the other site in support of the good work Simon has done for this site.

Thanks Simon,

Brady likes this.