Entertainment & Music Andy Weirs, 'The Martian'.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by T.C., 16th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

2. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I've downloaded it ...... Here it is.

WARNING: Once you start, you can't stop!

Attached Files:

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Just for the record, the book contains the following copyright information:

Copyright Info:
    “The Martian” is copyright © Andy Weir, 2011. All rights reserved.
    Redistribution of this e-book is permitted, so long as it is distributed for free.

... so I'm going to permit it to remain attached here unless instructed otherwise by the author.

WattleIdo and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I bought mine on Amazon $1 cheaper than Simon's listing, but almost $10 more that kamchatsky's.

6. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

7. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

Saw the movie today. Yep, it's bloody good. But it's the sort of movie I would like. However I took the wife and three daughters [12, 14, and 15] and they all reckoned it was great too so that was the real test.

Certainly cut out a lot of the real technical mumbo jumbo from the book, but they probably had to to make it watchable to the masses. Also added a few minutes of extra stuff on the end that wasn't in book. You didn't want it to end. Overall just a feel good movie that makes ya think the world is OK.

See ya's.

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.
  8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I also saw the movie over the weekend. I was a bit disappointed the cut some of the really interesting stuff (almost everything on the journey plus the airlock incident). I think the Ironman part at the end also went beyond the realms of disbelief (about the only thing they added which wasn't in the book).

Overall however, it was a terrific movie, they adapted it very well. I'm taking my wife to see it next week; she's also a fan, we laid in bed in the dark listening to the audio book together.

inertia and WattleIdo like this.
  9. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I read the book first, and I'm glad I did. I loved the movie too, but there were some sections in the movie where he did stuff without explaining why (eg [not really a spoiler] why cut a hole in the roof...?), or where you just didn't get the depth of explanation.

Although I'd be interested to hear if anyone saw the movie before reading the book and what they thought...

Cheers,
    Inertia.

10. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Currently working my way through the audiobook - hoping to have it finished in a week or so, then we'll go watch it at the movies. Heard a lot of people saying the movie is great so looking forward to it.

11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I have found that it is always better to read the book before the movie - with any book and movie.

Not sure why; just is.

12. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

The only books I can think of where I partially disagree with this statement was the Lord of the Rings books/movies. Simply because books struggle to get across the epicness of the geography/scenery, as well as the major battle scenes.

But in the vast majority of cases I'd prefer to read the book first.

13. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too. I always knew exactly what he was up to but my wife was confused. But for the movie to go into a detailed explanation would have been too much.

See ya's.

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

OK thanks for the link guys. Started reading it last night. Yes, he's certainly resouceful. Not sure if I can keep going if it's what the comic strip says. Kind of like reading a car manual.... sorry don't shoot me I'm a literary snob and don't have a lot of time for reading atm. Happy to be persuaded to continue. I think I got up to around day 30ish -chapter 3 finished.

15. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

It is fun pulp, hardly literature, but quite technical and scientific. If you're in to sci fi or technical engineering, you will probably enjoy it, otherwise, maybe not.

cheers,
    Inertia

16. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I'm also tossing up whether to read the book first or watch the movie. I used to have a rule of reading the book first until recently, having watched a few movies without being aware of the books or having the chance of reading them first. Usually I read the book, then get annoyed with the movie for all the deviations. However, I've still been able to appreciate the books after having seen the movie first. Some examples: Under the Skin, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep/Blade Runner, American Psycho (MUST HAVE STRONG STOMACH!), The Body Snatchers/Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Dune, The Puppet Masters, Requiem for a Dream, The Beach... The only problem is it's hard to imagine the characters differently from the actors that portrayed them in the film - i.e. Scarlett Johansson in Under the Skin :p Then again, I already know it stars
    [​IMG]

17. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I'm off to see it tomorrow night finally. :D Otherwise it'll be another movie I'll kick myself for missing on the big screen. Anyone seen the 3D version?

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We saw 3D version. Great !