Analysis Paralysis

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by GreenTreeFrog, 4th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. GreenTreeFrog

GreenTreeFrog Well-Known Member

Hi, I am feeling quite directionless and unanchored at the moment. I have sold my last property with an 18 month settlement so I feel literally untethered to planet earth at the moment. I have cash in the bank (and more coming in 18 months) but don't really know what to do next?

I feel like if I am not investing my money is just devaluing. I currently have no capital growth going on. It's unsettling!

I have researched across Australia at various property types and areas, and shares ETF etc. I just don't know where to put my money. Property is high, markets are high...

I have invested in residential for such a long time that I want to step it up a bit.

I have spoken with advisory company to restructure how I invest going forward, making plans and am seeking financial advice.

How did you find your way when you felt a bit lost on strategy and direction?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Some properties are rock bottom right now.
    For example shopping centres - I am still putting my $ on them recovering, so have put a fair bit into Vicinity and Scentres (Westfield)

They recovered a bit with the opening up in NSW and Vic but took a massive hit again last week with omicron.

The Y-man

Last edited: 4th Dec, 2021
    jjbeagle and GreenTreeFrog like this.
  3. applesathome

applesathome Well-Known Member

Get comfortable with choosing a good-great investment, even if it's not the best.

Unless you know every property for sale in the country, there's always going to be a better suburb/deal whatever. Same with every ETF or stock.

As long as the investment you make achieves the standard you set for your returns, then go with it. You'll end up doing nothing if you wait for the perfect investment.

jjbeagle and GreenTreeFrog like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm curious about the 18 month settlement. Why so long?

I wouldn't like to be sitting on the sidelines for 18 months waiting to settle while prices are rising.

craigc and Angel like this.
  5. GreenTreeFrog

It was acreage to a developer for a shopping centre and apartments.

craigc, jjbeagle, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  6. GreenTreeFrog

Good points. I guess changing asset class or property type I think I don't know enough to be confident it's the right decision. And sometimes researching stuff, like on here, there is soooo much contradictory info it's overload for my brain.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

We always let our goals and risk tolerances guide ourstrategies.

I know the feeling you have. Over the last 12
    months we've sold down more than 9m in assets have have just finished redirecting those funds into new ventures with higher risk to reward deals, which suits our goals.

From time to time we question whether our strategy is making the best use of the funds invested. We just go over our goals and risk tolerances and if we assess we're on track, we just keep ticking along. Over the years the only times we tinkered with strategy was when our risk tolerances had changed.

craigc, jjbeagle and GreenTreeFrog like this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.