An insane undertaking...

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by JessicaP, 29th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JessicaP

JessicaP Well-Known Member

Alternative thread title: I'm going to build a 5 bedroom, 12(ish) sq home for under $25K in around 2 weeks.....

If anyone is interested in following the journey, you can here.

Right in the thick of it all at the moment and loving (almost) all of it! Looks like time budget will blow out a little but not by much....on track to move in on Friday - into the sleeper part of the house anyway, essentially camping in it while we finish off.

I'll be updating regularly (every few days). I'm a bit behind at the moment but will attempt to catch it all up in the next few days!

MTR, chindonly, EN710 and 2 others like this.
  2. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Sorry to read that your home got burnt down :(

Good luck with the new build. Please update us as you go along.

EN710 and JessicaP like this.
  3. JessicaP

Thanks @mrdobalina

It's been tough but focussing on this new project has helped!

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the house :( Did you find out the cause of the fire?

Looking forward to the pic of finished container house :)

5. Charlotte30

Charlotte30 Well-Known Member

Good luck with the container build. Christchurch NZ has used them post earthquake for some very innovative and creative buildings. Both commercial and residential builds. Keen to follow your progress.

JessicaP likes this.
  6. JessicaP

Insurance had the forensic fire investigators out who believe it started in the roof. They can't be 100% sure about the cause, the front part of the house was pretty old, could have been rats or a possum, or just the old wiring.

EN710 likes this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I hope it works out well for you and is under the 25k,iv'e been through floods a few times,tree fallouts into the roof,
    break in's,but never a fire thank god,and for someone to turn this around that quick,well done..

8. JessicaP

Thanks willair. All trial and error so will be interesting to see where it ends up. Probably over time and money budget but we've set it all so low I think it will still be an achievement!

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your fire. Hope your insurance was adequate.

I will follow your blog with interest. Good luck!
    Marg

10. JessicaP

Update with the amount spent so far.....The details so far

If anyone is interested I've also started a facebook page which has more photos and more regular updates.

11. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Just curious:
    Did you need planning permission from the council ?
    Similarly what about the building permit for compliance with BCA ?

12. JessicaP

Hi @Skilled_Migrant not a question I can answer easily yet. This home is a bit different because it is a rebuild of a burnt house so we don't need a PP, as for the building permit - I'm waiting to hear back because we aren't sure what it falls in as it is off grid and totally transportable. Will keep you updated though.

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  13. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

I did some basic checks because it is a great idea.

Some VCAT judgements do classify containers as structures and from this point of view, BCA might be applicable. E.g.
    • A height of 2.4 metres is required in bedrooms and living spaces, I am not too sure that containers achieve that.
    • Similarly loads on foundations would be different and some engineering might be required.
    Like the idea though and will be following it closely especially the costs. Good luck:)

14. JessicaP

@Skilled_Migrant just heard back from council. Our situation is a bit different because of the circumstances and we are able to get a temporary dwelling permit. This has meant no building permit required but the council expects it to be removed within 2 years (we can go for an extension later if need be but they would have to see some serious movement toward building a more permanent home).

Generally speaking you would have to follow the same planning permit/building permit as required by any new build - engineers plans, drawings, environmental reports etc, the full bang. I do think they would be just as easy to get over the line as removable houses (which is what we usually do).

Just a quick thread update.We have been living in the containers for a while now - with a make-shift kitchen and bathroom. It took just over 3 weeks to get it comfortably livable (although that is a very relative concept - we camp a lot so comfortable for me may not be comfortable for you!). We have just finished all the flooring and painting and the bathroom will be finished by the end of the week. Kitchen goes in next week and then done!

I'll do a proper blogpost on it all soon but I have to say, it has been a really fun project! And the space is turning out to be a really lovely and comfortable space.

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I didn't see this thread before but I love this. Good on you for throwing everything you have to make a house after yours burnt down. Living on a small scale can have it's issues but I think you've made really smart choices with the kids beds etc.
    Ikea have so many living small ideas and I'm sure a trip back will be helpful.

16. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

No updates for a while. How did it go @JessicaP?