An Airbnb RIP

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by geoffw, 11th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

One of the things I really got value from when I was travelling was meeting people who lived there, sharing their houses, through Airbnb - and sometimes having the chance to have them show you their place. I suspect that the guests have more affinity towards their hosts though- a host has many more guests than vice versa.

There's one young couple I met in Guatemala. They took myself and another guest for a magnificent day's outing- we all got along really well. The wife was very heavily pregnant. I kept in touch with them for the birth of their baby, and went back six months later to meet their baby.

I saw them move their home to another city, and then saw their separation, as the husband evidently found life with a baby was too difficult.

And today I learnt of his death.

He was a big man, who ate badly and in quantity, and who, despite already having had heart problems, was still a smoker.

I don't know the cause of his death, I can only guess.

Chris Au likes this.
  2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Way to build us up and then break us down @geoffw !

Nattl3s likes this.
  3. geoffw

My apologies. I've changed the thread title if that helps.

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

5. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

@geoffw you need to write a book mate

6. geoffw

The ex wife just posted a link to a suicide support group :-(

7. geoffw

FB_IMG_1487234656750.jpg How many obit photos have you seen being photobombed by a Wookie?

8. rambotrader

rambotrader Well-Known Member

Having recently returned from an extended trip through France we had good exposure to short term rental properties, Airbnb specifically. What we found was six of one half a dozen of the other. Whilst we had two of the most wonderful landlords we also had another two who treated us like unwelcome intruders and who clearly wanted us there only of a night to sleep, which is pretty close to what we did anyway. Wretched experience.
    What we came to learn was that a self contained flat was the only way to go. Apart from being removed from the bad hosts there was the sense of not imposing on people and this is very important. Whilst we had a great experience with a couple of other Airbnb rentals we remember the painful ones the most. To be avoided.

9. geoffw

I've had my share of the not so good hosts as well. But I remember the good ones the most.