AMP Bank pulls out of all investment lending

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Richard Taylor, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Maybe if LMI was a transferable between banks this would be less of an issue.

Minimal transfer costs would make the market more open.

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Redom has addressed this a few times before (i.e. following the Auckland model). Can't remember specifically what he said but it seemed to make sense.

3. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Oh boy if this happened to me I'd go nuts! Would definitely be speaking to some kind of banking ombudsman.

4. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

@sanj

Geographic based lending policy was considered by policymakers, at least it was over a year ago when i was there.

At Treasury's financial markets team, we used to get into relatively heated discussions (like typical policymakers) on the merits of geographic based policy and its application around the world - it has been used across Asia.

Aussie policymakers, as much as many on this forum would disagree with, don't have an appetite for overstepping and would much rather let the market do its thing.

Thats why i keep talking about 'incentive' driven approach to rebalancing. Adjusting the market pricing and letting the market self adjust, is the cleanest form of transition and doesn't involve significant spillover costs.

Geographic policymaking is very 1970s and doesn't bode well with soft principles guiding capital markets policy.

But there comes a point where policymakers start weighing up the cost of a serious issue in the market over potential theoretical policymaking issues.

We may be nearing that point.

Observer and sanj like this.
  5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks for the insight.to me it certainly seems an obvious option but I'm sure there's lots I haven't considered.

6. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Geographic policymaking = Can of worms

Redom likes this.
  7. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

This will cost me about $5,500 before tax.

Small price to pay for the deal it secured though.

However I'll still be looking to do something about it before long, no reason to stay.

I wonder if there is still time to take one of their current fixed rates before the new rates take effect?

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

no real basis for a complaint though. Just a rate increase.

9. montoya

montoya Well-Known Member

Oh crap... Just when we were looking good to buy property number 4...
    Emailed our broker today to see whether fixing at a lower rate is possible and how this is going to affect our next lend...

10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Gosh darn the blessed thing...
    We're in the midst of a new lend with AMP...
    Hmm. Hmm.

12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

As far as I'm aware, AMP hasn't actually made their formal announcement yet. It was due at 5pm but hasn't been distributed as of 6:30pm. Odds are we'll see it tomorrow sometime.

According to my sources, they're not increasing existing loans by 1%, this is only being applied to loans which are not fully approved (@Azazel this doesn't bode well for you). They're also reducing rates for owner occupied and making a major push in that sector.

They do anticipate a rate increase for existing loans, but it's expected to be more in line with what the other lenders have done, not a 1% increase.

The reason the AMP is being so extreme is all of the banks want to get their investment lending under control within their financial year reporting period. For most lenders, this gives them until June next year. For AMP they've got until the end of December and only 5 months to get there, so they have to take extreme measures.

It's also anticipated that they'll return to the investment market in fairly short order, they're only temporarily putting the breaks on.

13. jaybean

Why do they have a different date?

14. Mick C

Mick C Well-Known Member

Im with Pete.....i doubt existing loan will increase by 1%...morel like NEW IP loan yes maybe...

15. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

My BDM has come up with the same, saying it will just be ratcheted up as much as the market with take (so they'd follow the other banks at a minimum then reassess).

16. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I'm speculating, but it could be something to do with the US financial year.

17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

wont be 1 % on back book................

yet

mainly
    to discourage pre approvals from settling

ta

rolf

18. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for loan docs to be received. Do I fall within the 1pc loading or do I just scrape through as I have unconditional approval?

19. jaybean

I hope you scrape in...

Where do you live? You might be able to shave a day off by delivering it in person, that's what I did. I just walked up to their office and handed it in.

20. Mick C

Mick C Well-Known Member

"IF" it applies to new and existing loans...than yes you will be effected...But my gut feeling your not effected by the 1%...If anything 1% will be for new loans and XX% for existing etc...

Nothing confirmed from AMP yet...all speculation at this point

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia