Cars & Motorbikes AMG or Evoque

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Matthew D, 11th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matthew D

Matthew D Well-Known Member

Anybody know of or have used an AMG CLA45 as a family car?

How spacious is if if you were to have a 5 year old and 3 year old on baby seats in the back ?
    We have a range rover evoque and the back seat is cramped. (Middle seat can’t be used) Wondering if anyone has experienced the CLA45 with two baby seats?

Haven’t actually got up close to the interior of CLA45 so I wouldn’t be able to tell if it’s identical in size to the Range Rover but it does look much smaller.

Thanks in advance

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I can neither confirm or deny if the CLA45 is bigger but many car with car seats in the rear have only a tiny space left in the middle seat.
    It's one of the reasons we had to buy a 7 seater as we just couldn't fit 2 baby seats and a teenager between them.
    But don't despair. If you are asking because you'd like to add a 3rd child then it might be as simple as buying new narrower car seats. There is a wide range of widths in car seats and for people that want to fit 3 car seats across the rear or a small child in between then there are options instead of buying a bigger car.
    You can save up to 15cm in room by changing seats.
    Some of the narrow seats are:
    https://www.britax.com.au/car-seats/britax-safe-n-sound-graphene/
    Quattro, Australia's Slimmest Car Seat
    The Award Winning Grandeur
    The All New Visage Astra

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We have a 2010 Ford Focus XR5, the rear seat access to get the toddler in and out is restrictive, "someone" would like the Merc A45 as an upgrade but it is no better :oops:

The CLA45 is a slightly larger vehicle with a larger/longer door opening, but with that sloping roof line I imagine leaning in with the youngest or getting access to buckle them in will be no better, certainly not as easy as your Evoke.

Based on some friends reviews we are looking at BMW (better servicing).
    Currently leaning towards an M140, still a smaller car with heaps of GO (to keep "someone" happy).

Not a trader, don't work in the vehicle industry, just my view ;)

4. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

We have kids of a similar age - inlaws have a CLA and there is no chance of carrying a passenger in the middle with the baby seats in the back. The kids / seats fit no problem but overall the car is a little cramped.

I've got the C class which is a fair size bigger internally and much more comfortable putting the kids in, but even so you would struggle to get a full size passenger in the back with the baby seats.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Not trying to hijack your thread @Matthew D
    But @Morgs how is your C63? (s) Advice ?
    That is what the other half wants :rolleyes:
    But I see these funds "working" for us elsewhere :cool:
    Both Mercedes and Audi servicing fee's seem OTT :eek:
    Not to mention the initial purchase price and depreciation :confused:
    Still, no one lives forever...........

6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

It is a great car - I didn't really intend to buy it or spend that much but after a test drive I was hooked. I'm a self confessed revhead but it is still a challenge to part with the money. To be honest it is only really the depreciation you need to worry about & I didn't buy brand new for that reason.

Life is a balance, no point in delaying gratification until you get to the retirement... need to enjoy the journey so if you're going to value ownership and your financial situation permits it without slowing you down then go for it :)

Stoffo likes this.
  7. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

We have decided to go bigger and we currently have a medium size wagon (e.g. 3 Series/C class/ Mazda6)

Also have the Britax slim Line and they are slimmer but not radically. In a medium size care you would get a small child squished in the middle at a pinch. If managed to get one of the seats in the middle (no isofix in the middle and might be alignment issues) then maybe an adult could fit. The isofix mounts do centre the seat away from the side window (probably for good reason.).

No chance in a CLA and the head clearance would probably be a pain ? Literally!

8. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    And I have the coupe . It’s got ISOFIX in the back row but try getting a baby seat in there .... :)

9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    I drive the coupe version, and all I can tell you is that I LOVE driving it. There is more power available than can ever be used anywhere but a track or an autobahn . Acceleration is effortless . Almost anything you drive afterwards will feel like a posties bike .... Every time I press the start button the engine sound puts a smile on my face . the spluttering exploding downshifts that happen under braking will make you feel like a kid in a candy shop ... it’s really an entirely ridiculous car in many ways . .... but I defy anyone to not LOVE it after they drive it once :)

4644F460-CA72-443D-A9D2-E5E6C16CEBEB.jpeg

Stoffo and Phantom like this.