VIC Amazon fulfillment centre in Dandenong South?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by ANMOL, 4th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ANMOL

ANMOL Member

2. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

No, It is not such a big event. A place like this may bring at max 80-140 jobs and most of the workers will be average earners who might or might not like to rent there.

Do you have any other statistic or similar previous instances which makes you claim what you are saying?

3. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Not a huge amount of employment compared to any other industrial/warehouse site, low income and no spur on follow on economic benefits - I wouldn't play any benefit on this any greater than a local Woolworths opening.

jaybean likes this.
  4. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

Well... jobs are always good news, but Dandenong South is a massive industrial hub, so it will barely register a blip in the grand scheme of things....It would be different if Amazon decided on somewhere more regional, I must admit I'm surprised they wouldn't prefer a more Northern Hub, closer to the Hume Freeway and Tullamarine, or even close to Avalon Airport and use the West side as a distribution hub.

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The bigger picture will be ,as they push their simple way into communities nationwide--

And they will force down prices and profits from those competing around them in every area--in subconscious ways of sweet - talking consumers .. imho..

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fully automated warehouse with an investment of $XXX, 000,000 on conveyors & cameras. Very few people involved at the back of house, limited manual handling, everything is delivered bar coded.

hobartchic likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The bigger concern among investors into shopping centres (like me) of course is the impact Amazon may have on the tenants of the centres. While a lot of doomsday talk is going on a la "end of shopping centres", I feel that

1. The people I speak to want to see and pick things like fruit and vegies themselves
    2. food courts still have people there (not everyone is ubereating etc)
    3. Large shopping centres are still community hubs (from young to old)

Am I missing something drasticly?

The Y-man

8. hpresident

hpresident Well-Known Member

I think all shopping centre will be taking a hit. A slow but steady hit over the next decade.

If we look at how many shopping centres are going bankrupt in America we can see what is going to happen in Australia in the next few yrs.
    example article

Most things in life is not black or white, myer is not going to loose all their customers, but loosing 20% of it may be enough to force the business to closed down half the stores.
    Again, supermarkets maybe fine, food courts maybe fine, but a robust shopping centre is more than that. Toys R Us is already down (in america at least), jb hi fi maybe next, harvey norman, cotton on ect. If you imagine a moderate size shopping centre, let say Highpoint Shopping Centre in melbourne, 20% of stores gone, replaced with 2 dollar bargain stores or whatever . All of a sudden you have a pretty crappy place.

I don't think it will be the end like a on off switch. But it will be a steady decline.
    I don't think any of the shopping centres in Australia have adjusted enough to keep up with internet shopping.

The Y-man likes this.
  9. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

and RBA is going to cut to boost people spending.... let's hope :)

10. willair

No I don't think your missing anything..

Sometime in 1872 Montgomery Ward from what I read was the first to offer in black and white to print the first general-merchandise catalog and it's very collectable..

20 or so years later Sears did the same only a 500 page plus version and that spanned out to millions of Americans ..

Fast track the system again very early last century most "Large" US based department stores offered everything in one physical location..

Now from what I read some people who try to alleviate feelings of anxiety ,simply shop online that in turn gives them a temporary solid mind--state of euphoria ,and for many will release dopamine in the brain ,which in turn leads too overconsumption,then ask any Economist one needs solid consumption for most expanding places like Australia or anywhere in the world..

And this company knows 1000% the simple ability to buy then own something having the illusion of luxury has accelerated so fast that it will become unstoppable , only my superstitious blue collar opinion ..

The Y-man likes this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

But then the point I guess is that small physical stores and even outlet stores may disappear (while they are not anchor tenants in centres, they still significant). I always wonder about the proportion of society who are comfortable buying clothing and footwear online without "trying on" or looking at (even if there is a free return policy).

The Y-man

12. willair

I can only go with my own family..The "Wife" and our daughters all shop online now for most items they need or want and most of what they buy comes from online opinions from other people and online shopping will outpace blocks and cement growth,but I do think a very %of physical walk-in stores maybe not so much the low-cost out-lets will vanish over a short period of time..imho..

The only winner I think ,and something I have been into the numbers for a while now,is with all this useless gear they buy is the self storage industry and the entry cost for standalone or brand name storage facilities and invest in those linked company's .."imho"

The Y-man likes this.
  13. househuntn

househuntn Well-Known Member

I don't know the general sentiment but I certainly prefer to physically try and see things before buying, whether it's size dependent like clothes, or to get a feel of things like electronics.

I think businesses need to work on customer service and innovative solutions to get people in the stores. I would not mind paying a little more if I get good service (although it would be interesting to see the proportion who shop on price/convenience alone). For shopping centres, food courts are always busy and they have started to have drawcards like lego discovery, pop up stores, and showrooms like Tesla.

The Y-man likes this.