Am I being too optimistic? no covenant, no easement freehold title in QLD

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Lettie_S, 8th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lettie_S

Lettie_S Active Member

Dear property experts,

I've been searching to buy my first first freestanding house in Brissie to live in. I am a complete noob, please bear with me.

I'd love for my future home to tick all the following boxes:
    • Freehold (Torrens) title
    • No easements
    • No covenants
    A colleague said to me today that only a small percentage of freestanding houses in Brisbane and Gold Coast tick all these boxes. She is not a property "expert" per-se, but she has bought/sold a couple of free standing houses on the Gold Coast.

So, I thought I'd ask the experts in the field here, that what percentage of all freestanding houses you reckon tick all the above-mentioned boxes?... Is fifty percent too optimistic?

I realise it's a difficult question and there is a lot of subjectivity involved, but humor me please!

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Why are those requirements important to you?

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Most freestanding houses with their own block are titled freehold (qld uses torrens title). Most townhouses are strata or community of some other title. On GC there are lots of 'complexes' so finding standalone house titled it not as easy as Brisbane.

Brisbane, Logan etc you can expect to find existing freehold torrens title houses most of the time. Be optimistic on this one. They incease more over time (if property rises) so good investment.

Covenants are not all that common, sometimes a new development specifies time to build for blocks - that is a covenant. Getting a freestanding titled house without covenant you should be optimistic about.

There are some easements that shouldn't worry you. Sometimes the sewer runs down that back of a property, or an environmental easement is in place. Are they a big deal? Other easements (power, neighbour access) are less desirable so being averse to them is fine.

So i think you are on the right track, be optimistic about freestanding torrrens titled house with no covenants, and be averse to easements unless you can live with them.

All you need now is a bucket load of money :)

Firefly99 likes this.