Travel & Holidays Am I being petty for not “releasing” a plane ticket I can’t use?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jaybean, 22nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Airline changed the time, brought the flight forward by a few hours. I was given the option to refuse and get a refund, but I accepted the change, which then locked me in, but a few hours later I realized I couldn’t make it work in my schedule.

I rung up to get a refund but since I already accepted the change they said they can’t do it, not even a partial refund or credit.

So I decided to keep it out of spite because why should they make more money by reselling my seat. Why should I take 30 mins out of my day to make another call and sit on the line and get passed around half a dozen times to process the cancellation.

Am I being selfish? I kind of feel bad. What if the seat could have been used by someone genuinely needing to be somewhere urgent?

2. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Your schedule could change last minute again. Keep it just in case.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Something urgent is likely to be last moment, They would have sold your seat already.

wylie likes this.
  4. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Don't they oversell anyway and then bump some poor unfortunate? Remember those recent videos from the US? Airlines are never so considerate.

legallyblonde and wylie like this.
  5. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

It's your ticket so you can do what you want. As mentioned you may be able to use it after all and would be kicking yourself if you cancelled it with no refund.

I noticed in the case of award tickets some airlines have a penalty in place if you don't use the award ticket. So loose the points and still get penalised.

6. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I don't see it as petty because a) you might still need it and b) it would take effort and time to release the ticket as you would need to contact them again. After they have just sort of screwed you over on this, I wouldn't make any extra effort for them.

wylie likes this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

It's your ticket and it's up to you on how you use it. If the airline need you to release the ticket then they would make arrangement to pay you for the seat.

bob shovel likes this.
  8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

No mention when the flight is, could be tomorrow or in a few months.

I would have thought if they change the time/agreement, perhaps expected an immediate decision from you, or even if you choose to give one, then latter in the day, perhaps after consulting a partner, others your travelling with etc, that hang-on that doesn't work, you'd have at-least 24 hours from initial notification to change that decision, be moved to an alternate flight or get a refund.

I wonder what the ACCC would think?

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Call up, claim you misunderstood the previous person on the phone and that it could be changed or refunded as long as it was 48 hours prior to the flight.

10. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Domestic flight? Give it to a mate. They use the DIY check in things and nobody would know it's not you. When I told some visiting Americans that was possible they were horrified.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Yeah.. I'd be calling back and demanding a refund. When you book a flight, you book it based on time (well, I do anyways).
    When is the flight?

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not selfish. It's your ticket to use to use, or not, as you see fit.

However, unlike some of the posters above, I don't think you've been ripped off or hard done by either - since you were offered a refund but refused it

Hardly the airline's fault that you didn't take up their offer or check properly.

Xenia likes this.
  13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You bought the ticket, it’s up to you to do with it what you want, give it away, leave an empty seat or put a teddy bear on it just for fun.

It’s not selfish because it’s yours to do as you wish and you don’t need to explain or justify to anyone. :)

Other people’s emergencies and especially theoretical emergencies are not your problem, I wouldn’t even go there.

14. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Lol should have read this before I posted my answer.

Mirror mirror :)

Joynz likes this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

They will fill the seat anyway because I'm told all flights are overbooked. I'd leave it in case you change your mind.

16. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Airlines in Australia do not over book. It is common practice in the USA, but not here.

legallyblonde and Joynz like this.
  17. wylie

Why do you say it doesn't happen here?

I know a family of five who refused to be bumped on Christmas Eve a few years ago. I think that flight was overbooked by about 50 people. They started offering sweeteners to the larger groups (families) first.

They were offered small incentives (fast food vouchers to wait for a later/alternative flight). They called their travel agent (a friend) who told them to hold out.

They were offered higher value incentives, and eventually were offered cash (cannot recall if it was $1k or might have been more) or an upgrade to business class if they flew next day (Christmas Day).

They chose business class, went home and flew business class next day.

Gockie likes this.
  18. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

What I wrote was "Airlines in Australia".

Was this on an Australian registered airline operating domestically? I expect not.

Suspect this story would have been a foreign carrier. That is what I mean it does not happen here.

Joynz likes this.
  19. wylie

Fair enough. I’ve no idea. Perhaps others will know if flights are overbooked “within Australia”.

20. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Your ticket could be used for someone needing urgent medical treatment e.g. cancer patient. Do I think you are being selfish? Yes, there's a reason you feel bad, it's called a conscience. Better to give it up and move on :)