Always leave the office on time

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by D.T., 4th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I agree; you can be very hard working, but doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with time management skills.

I think the more successful folks learn it as they go; increasing their returns on effort..

It depends on what you are used to as well; my mechanic; 57 years old, a terrific guy and a really good mechanic; is only used to "back room" work and has no mind for time-management and getting things done in a timely manner to please customers etc. He works hard, but has very limited time management skills or awareness of priorities.

But; also has no ambition to do anything more, no ambition to step up and be a Manager (which requires those skills) so just plods along through life, earns his miserable pay, but that's him and he's happy (yet bemoans his lack of money every now and then o_O).

Last edited: 4th Dec, 2015
  2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

With three young kids and a wife at home - there are some days where I breathe a sigh of relief walking into the office. Joking :)

I do agree with a healthy work/life balance. I find myself getting a little "addicted" to the business at times - and have to remind myself that there's other parts of my life that require my focus too.

Cheers

Jamie

3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Agreed, but that doesn't mean people need to be working 7am to 9pm... flexible working hours that fulfil the needs of the business and that of the employee are the way to go. I'm quite "lucky" in that my employer respects its employees personal time, and my manager treats us like adults. We essentially make our own time as required.

cheers,
    Inertia

158 likes this.
  4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

No need to call it out as a joke - definitely an awesome thing at times!

Yep. There is a certain "escapism" in going to work. Sure, there can just as equally be distractions and competing demands, but those times when you are dedicated to a task and get to actually focus on something completely can feel quite indulgent sometimes.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

5. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

A politician contradicting himself? That's unheard of. o_O

Sackie likes this.
  6. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Has some good points but some sounds a bit lazy like a person who has worked their whole life and has 20k savings.

I believe you have to work harder/more than 9-5 to get ahead of the pack.

Point 5, leaving work on time reminds of a manager at my partners work. He would start one hour early and finish an hour after everyone basically doing 12 hours per day and even came there on his days off. 7 days per week. When she started working there she assumed he was just a hard worker but soon realised he would stuff around all day wasting time. He done this to seem more important to the company and so he didn't receive extra work on top of his work. Basically like strategic incompetence.

Anyway he has since been moved to a different position.

7. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

I disagree with your disagreement. Losing hair myself, the "combover" is not a conscious act but evolves unconsciously. To fault him for actions he may not be aware of is erroneous.

8. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

Sadly as an employer I am reviewing my position on this. The old expression seems to stand: "Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile". Human nature I suppose.