Health & Family Always Hungry ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by See Change, 19th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Mine too @Johnny Cashflow . My parents make their own passata, brine and marinate the olives, and all their fruit and vegies from the garden. Dad used to make all his own wine and grappa. I do some, but not nearly as much. I marinate green peppers and artichokes from our vegie patch, bottle tomatoes and brine olives from our garden.

Jennifer Duke, MTR and Xenia like this.
  2. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Is it dandelion that you use? That is great for liver function. @Xenia Did you know that animals who graze on wild greens don't get cancer whereas animals who are kept inside and fed commercial product do?

Xenia likes this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

We use different things for salads BK, I don't even know what they are all called (I know the greek names for them only), I can just recognise them.

BigKahuna likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

sounds like my family, good to see those Italian traditions still strong:)

Xenia and BigKahuna like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

From what I have read and seen - the "regain weight" issue is caused by emotional/boredom eating rather than listening to the body. The bypass can cause the patient to be physically sick if they overeat, but for some this isn't a deterrent because of the other non-physical factors.

What really needs to happen is extensive counselling along with the bypass ... and a purpose in life rather than just going back to the couch with a bag of chips

Xenia and BigKahuna like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Some one mentioned soft drink (soda) ... this, in my opinion, is the biggest culprit. No nutritional value - massive (massive) calories - and because it's liquid it doesn't fill you up at all, simply passes thru, dropping it's sugar load as it goes.

I have a brother in law - super smart guy who knows everything about everything (just ask him :rolleyes:) ... doesn't eat overly much and his wife makes sure it's healthy food ... but he drinks nothing but full sugar soft drink ... massively obese ... around 50kg overweight ... has injectable type 2 diabetes ... constant kidneys stones ... would sit in the bathroom for half an hour or more to pass a movement (tmi) ... knees have given up on him ... is my age but looks 20 years older ... yet he still sucks on soft drink all day.

Doesn't take a PhD to see what the consumption problem is ... and then you go down the shopping centre and there's babies sucking on bottles of coke!

Xenia, Perthguy and MTR like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just had a look at my lunchbox (I will graze on it all day)...probably 1-1.5 kg

• Handful of grapes & cherries
    • Medium banana
    • Peach
    • Nectarine
    • 2 varieties of plums
    • Lychees
    • Cucumber
    • Carrot
    • Grape/cherry tomatoes
    • Greek yoghurt
    • Couple of plain rice crackers
    • Water
    I'm glad that we are close to the fruito.

Perthguy, MTR and Tyler Durden like this.
  8. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I've been doing the 5-2 for nearly a year I guess, mind you, I completely abandon it on holidays etc. I've lost nine kilos so far, but plenty more to go :(

The Silver Bear, Lizzie and MTR like this.
  9. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Yum. But what do you folks have for fruit when the peaches, cherries, etc aren't available?

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@SerenityNow - Apples, oranges, mandarins, kiwis, persimmons, pineapple, avocado, mango, pomegranate, berries, nuts - whatever's in season.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Fantastic, my husband has lost 10 kg doing this, he also bike rides once per week and golf twice per week, this does help.

Xenia likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

"nutrient dense" and "energy dense" are more about processed vs minimally processed foods. Nutrient-dense foods are foods that have a lot of nutrients but relatively few calories. Examples: Vegetables, Fruits, Legumes and Whole Grains. Energy-dense foods have a high amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Examples: chocolate, biscuits, lollies, cakes, muffins.

The issue with many processed foods is they have a lot of energy per serve (energy dense) but lack many of the vitamins and minerals needed for health. This doesn't mean we need to stop eating energy-dense foods. Avocado and nuts are energy-dense and good to eat. The issue is if people eat mainly energy-dense processed foods and very few nutrient-dense foods, they can get sick and fat and they feel hungry all the time (based on personal experience).

My experience of eating mainly nutrient-dense foods is less hunger, weight loss, better overall health.

Xenia, BigKahuna and Lizzie like this.
  13. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Quotes from David Ludwig

Overeating hasn’t made our fat cells grow; our fat cells have been programmed to grow, and that has made us overeat.

Insulin’s effects on calorie storage are so potent that we can consider it the ultimate fat cell fertilizer.

We found that the participants burned about 325 calories a day more on the low-carbohydrate compared to the high-carbohydrate diet. This difference is equivalent to about an hour of moderately vigorous activity, in effect without lifting a finger.

MTR and See Change like this.
  14. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

So; we can take it that he doesn't know everything then.

Lizzie likes this.
  15. Perthguy

This is a good point. For decades we have been taught to fear fat. I don't believe this advice is correct. I didn't mention above when I switched to eating mainly nutrient-dense foods that I deliberately added more fat to my diet, mainly coconut oil, coconut milk and olive oil. I didn't have any problems dropping fat when I ate more fat. It's bit ironic really when I have heard "the fat you eat is the fat you wear". In my experience it is more correct to say "you have to eat fat to burn fat". Of course this refers to healthy fats as opposed to processed fats like trans-fats.

Xenia likes this.
  16. Perthguy

Xenia likes this.
  17. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

:eek:The salvation of fat ( as a high profile topic ) as something that's ok to eat seems to have started with this particular article from 2002 which appeared in the New York Times

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?

Makes for interesting reading .

David Ludwig goes along way towards putting the whole picture together , though obviously there will be more developments .

There's a lot of information in the book and I haven't finished it yet , however the quote you've linked was probably the most startling one so far. Same calories but different food class and burn over an extra 300 cal per day :eek:

While many people here obviously are well on top of their diet and weight , for those who aren't and for those who are interested in the topic , that Fact alone is eye opening .

Cliff

MTR likes this.
  18. Perthguy

I know I have complained repeatedly about eating and eating when I was overweight and obese but always feeling hungry, craving sugary foods and feeling driven to overeat. However, I have never really found an adequate explanation for this. Working through the Ludwig research, I have found a very interesting paper on the effects of high GI foods that I feel explains this phenomena quite well.

The decline in blood glucose (and other metabolic fuels) (13, 14) in the late postprandial period after a high-GI meal would not only constitute a powerful homeostatic hunger signal (15) but also increase the hedonic value of food through striatal activation (18). This combination of physiologic events may foster food cravings with a special preference for high-GI carbohydrates (16, 17), thereby propagating cycles of overeating. In addition, the recurrent activation of the striatum may downregulate dopamine receptor availability and further heighten the drive to overeat (11).

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/98/3/641.long

Xenia likes this.
  19. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying reading Grain Brain and other such books at present, interesting to read about modern wheat

There seems to be a number of books and research out on gut microbiome nowadays also

I tried to find a link from one of the books but couldn't, the below is similar though regarding modern wheat

But back to wheat: So how—and when—did this ancient grain become such a serious health threat? Author and preventive cardiologist William Davis, MD, says it was when big agriculture stepped in decades ago to develop a higher-yielding crop. Today's "wheat," he says, isn't even wheat, thanks to some of the most intense crossbreeding efforts ever seen. "The wheat products sold to you today are nothing like the wheat products of our grandmother's age, very different from the wheat of the early 20th century, and completely transformed from the wheat of the Bible and earlier," he says.

Plant breeders changed wheat in dramatic ways. Once more than four feet tall, modern wheat—the type grown in 99 percent of wheat fields around the world—is now a stocky two-foot-tall plant with an unusually large seed head. Dr. Davis says accomplishing this involved crossing wheat with non-wheat grasses to introduce altogether new genes, using techniques like irradiation of wheat seeds and embryos with chemicals, gamma rays, and high-dose x-rays to induce mutations.

Link

Lizzie and Xenia like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and we wonder why there are so many allergies nowadays o_O ... food is nothing like what our grandparents ate, and not just talking about the processed stuff

skater likes this.