Health & Family Always Hungry ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by See Change, 19th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty much like what I did. Eat more (healthy food), move more, lose weight.

Any issue with feeling hungry before or after your change? I find that 'dieters' complain they feel hungry all the time. I think they are not eating enough (healthy food). I found when I stuffed my fact with healthy food, I wasn't hungry but I did lose weight. And when I say "stuffed", I was literally eating kilograms a day. I weighed it. It is a massive volume of food to eat and to be honest I struggled getting it all down at first. I got used to it though. It's just completely different to processed food, which is really easy to eat.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I just ordered the book.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

MTR and BigKahuna like this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes, that is what convinced me - the PDFs. Plus the fact that I just measured my BMI and am nearly obese.

5. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

@Perthguy Is 'nutrient-dense' food anything that is not a carbohydrate and has no sugar? Does that mean anything that doesn't provoke an insulin response is nutrient-dense/?

6. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Cliff, you mention lack of basic scientific information.

I am curious, As a medical student, how much did you learn about basic nutrition? Of course there is a lot more than simply "calories in -calories out" (you do need to balance vitamins and minerals to be healthy,) but too many calories must be stored as fat.

Aaronjod likes this.
  7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

There is a notion that it is switching off the thermogenic brown fat. Brown fat is present in babies, keeps them warm. It was thought that it then disappeared, but has recently been demonstrated to be present in adults - usually upper back/trapezius area. It accounts for a reasonable amount of metabolism. It seems to be 'switched off' in the obese, effectively lowering the basal metabolic rate and kJ consumed. They are investigating triggers for therapeutic benefits. One environmental trigger is a lack of cold, or warmth. So - those countries most equipped with heating for the winter months and/or lack of cooling may account for a steady increase.

Brown fat accounts for about 4 kg/year - a significant amount when the average weight creep is 1kg/year.

wylie, Perthguy and BigKahuna like this.
  8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Can I answer this? Pretty much none. I learnt a bit as a biochemical major in Science.

9. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

Hi Xenia, which is it? Do you follow a diet or not?

10. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Nutrition ?

What's that ? ( we're talking 30 years ago …)

Cliff

legallyblonde likes this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Me too ;)

MTR likes this.
  12. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

See I find that just sad :( to me that is like a mechanic not knowing anything about fuel quality and how it affects the running efficiency (or lack thereof) of a motor.

13. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I'm always hungry yes. My caloric requirements are a bit different to most people though.

I also take 10x fish oil tablets, 2x immune tablets and a men's multivitamin daily.

I follow the 'seefood' diet - I see food and I just have to eat it! I graze all day, but my type of grazing would be 8-10 normal meals to most.

Costs a damn lot to fuel this engine!

pinkboy

14. BigKahuna

@moyjos The standard thinking among the medical community 30 years ago was that health had nothing to do with vitamins and minerals. I remember the head of the AMA saying that people were wasting their money by taking vitamins, as there was no proof they did anything to improve your health.

When I told my gastro that I had cured my stomach ulcer with deglycyrrhizinated licorice I was shocked that he believed me. I now have a GP who works with natural remedies, vitamins and bioidentical hormones.

MTR and Xenia like this.
  15. BigKahuna

@Xenia, I'm like you--we eat mostly a Mediterranean diet, not in the sense of it being a 'diet' that restricts what we eat specifically to lose weight, but a diet that consists of the kind of food that our parents and grandparents ate.

MTR and Xenia like this.
  16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Including specific weeds from your garden that other people spray with roundup and then go and buy those exact weeds in powdered form from a health food store and stir them in a glass of water to get the health benefits of this "power plant" lol

BigKahuna and MTR like this.
  17. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

My nonna and nonno still collect olives each year and do the oil we get it in the big tubs as well.

Along with the bottled tomatoes each year. So much better than the tinned stuff

My dad has about 30 chickens. Which are heaps better than the so called "free range" eggs you get from Coles

It's good to have fresh produce

18. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I disagree.

There has been loads of information around for years about a whole range of things that have caused the average human to be as big as a house - some of it anecdotal of course, some are simply "studies".

I mean; look at shows like "Biggest Loser"...how much more plain can it get; change your diet, exercise your guts out....look how much weight those folks lose over 3 months - it's astounding. Given; you can't maintain that intensity forever; but they have the tools to go home with and get success.

But it doesn't even need to be "scientific"....just compare past generations to present generations to see the clues.

I took our kids to the pool the other week; an astonishing volume of very, very overweight adults there. I saw one family of 7 people - 4 adults an 3 kids (sitting near us) all 4 adults were absolutlely enormous, and the kids were already almost too far gone at younger ages. They were having a barbecue/picnic...sausages in bread (not so bad; do it myself)...but I saw absolutely no fruit or water - loads of bottles of soft drinks, and loads of packets of cheezels and chips. Quite shocking; given their enormous size already.

Anyone from our (older) age group can plainly see what is happening to our lifestyle and diet each year...less exercise, more highly processed and high sugar content food, more kids in front of screens for longer - same with adults...and so on.

It is not hard to work out what is required; and for someone like me, who has never really had much of an issue with weigh problems - and therefore no real need to have an interest in weight, diet and exercise issues; I shouldn't really have much of a clue about all that.

And from a scientific aspect; I don't really..no more than yer average person on the street - and that is the point.

So, if I can gather all this info so easily about what is required, without any real need for the information; then it must be even easier to gather the information for anyone who has a weight problem - and who has any sort of inclination to do something about it.

And that is the whole crux of it....inclination....there is no excuse for being ignorant in this day and age.

My brother was a Personal Trainer who ran a studio for approx 10 years, and he used to give his clients the dieting program, the exercise program, cut down on grog, on sweets, on take-aways and so forth and so on...they were armed to the teeth with the tools to get it done.

But; many didn't. They would come back each week, for months on end, with limited results despite his ranting and yelling at them to "shift yer arse!!" Why?

In the end; there was always an excuse; "too busy" "too much work", "I had a cold", "I've had a lot of business lunches lately" and so on.

Conversely; you can also psycho-analyse the whole thing to death with all sorts of convoluted diets and food combos and so on; lots of folks on this forum do it from my observation....

Paralysis by over-analysis in those cases. I don't think it's overly necessary..

Last edited: 20th Jan, 2016
    Mooze, Perthguy and Gingerbeer like this.
  19. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

No; I never felt hungry, because I was eating the right foods, I could literally eat all day long - the extra exercise content made sure I burned off the calories...

I was eating loads and loads of fruit in between meals, but fruit is a better calorie than anything processed and sugar-filled.

More water of course, no fruit juices (unless freshly squeezed from home); lunch was often rice, tuna and 1 scrambled egg mixed together, bit of capsicum and corn mixed in for colour and extra vitamins, etc

Would occasionally have a turkey, tomato and lettuce sandwich instead...or one of my favorites; smoked tuna with vegemite sandwiches.

Dinner was; cut down on spag as often; replaced with egg and bacon, stuck with the usual compliment of chicken, fish and occasional steak (about once a week for steak)...lots of salads and /or veges with the various meats (no change from normal there).

Cut out deserts, cut out grog (except on weekends) but if still a bit peckish after dinner; replaced them with breakfast cereal such as weetbix and cornflakes (not hard for me because I eat a lot of these anyway) or more fruit..cornflakes and milk with slices of banana for eg.

Yes, yes; before I get flamed; Cornflakes and banana are not exactly the best thing you can have; but it's half decent compared to other options that most folks go for with desserts.

Not too hard; not exotic and weird (except for the tuna and vegemite sanga).

The trick with all this is to identify to yourself that you are starting to put on the weight, and take the action required before it gets too far down the track...lots of folks can't or wont, and before they know it; they've arrived at a point where the required effort is compounded ten-fold..

Anyway; gotta walk the talk; I'm off for a jog... see ya's.

Last edited: 20th Jan, 2016
    Perthguy likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

they got it right:)

BigKahuna likes this.