Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Always Hungry ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by See Change, 19th Jan, 2016.

Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Timing Lord Premium Member

Probably the biggest health issue facing the world ( well 1st world ) is that of obesity .

A little while ago I saw a figure quoted that the average " shelf life " for a new diet was around about 18 months.

Low carb , high carb , low fat , Atkins , paleao , 5/2 the list goes on .

For me , the 5/2 worked well with weight loss , but boy , I'd get cranky and my brain wasn't working as well when I started it . My wife lost minimal .

The latest addition is care of a harvard Prof of nutrition , Derek Ludwig .

The nice thing about this ( for me ) is the amount of scientific research that he has done , or quotes to back up his thesis .

Haven't road tested it yet , but it makes a worthwhile addition and a possible " solution " for those struggling with weight .

Always Hungry?: Conquer Cravings, Retrain Your Fat Cells, and Lose Weight Permanently by David Ludwig MD

Cliff

Perthguy, MTR and Bran like this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

For me the problem with "diets" is that they seem to evoke a thought process that the eating habits associated with them only need to be temporary. You can stop "dieting" one you have lost the weight.

You need to change your life not "diet" in the commercial sense of the word.

3. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

Totally agree with second comment - it's a lifestyle thing. I've yo-yo'd but usually maintain a healthy "diet" so to speak (vegan, plant-based wholefoods).

Restrictive eating does nothing for me or my mental health.

4. Xenia

Xenia Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

4/136 The Parade Norwood, South Australia
    I don't follow diets just like I don't follow any other written dogma.
    Intuitive eating - I eat what I want when I'm hungry and don't even think about it.
    If I want a chocolate bar I have one - people who deny themselves think about it all the time and end up overeating.

I follow a meditaranian diet - very heavy on fat and we fry everything.
    We buy olive oil in 25 Lt containers - forget those spray things lol.

Myself, husband and kids are all a healthy weight. Kids are all under weight as I Had been all my life (except now).

The trick is I never overeat not ever, I have always had the ability to just stop when I've had enough and the thought of finishing that last little bit when I don't want it makes me sick.

I have never told my kids to sit down and finish everything, if they are walking off then they have had enough.

Being intuitive is better than following a diet.

5. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

A decade ago, I started following Paul McKenna's 4 Golden Rule diet which, in summary, is:

1. Eat whatever you want.
    2. Eat whenever you want.
    3. Eat slowly and mindfully.
    4. Stop eating when you are full.

Once I knew it worked for me, I combined steps 3 and 4 together to become: Stop eating when you know you should have had enough.

Using this method, I intentionally put on 4Kg each winter, so I have some fat to burn to keep warm in winter, and take it off again in summer.

If this is a fad diet, it has been an awesome one!

Terry_w, MTR, Xenia and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I've just tipped the kilos at 106kg (which is 10kg this year, and 5kg last year), so I'm putting serious thought into fixing it. I still don't look fat by any means, but I operate on enough 106kg blokes to know that it is fat on the inside.

My problem is clear:
    - Convenient food choices are poor at busy times
    - Portion size is excessive, particularly late in the day
    - Exercise is inadequate, and become increasingly so as it gets harder and harder to get the same weight moving.
    - An inability to find an adequate goal or motivation that inspires me enough to enact lasting changenegative change

wobbycarly and Terry_w like this.
  7. See Change

Always hungry is specifically about this . It's about changing your life , but he goes into detail ( back up with scientific research , 20 page bibliograph at the end ) as to why previous approaches have failed and why the western world has become obese in the last 40 years .

Cliff

Perthguy and Bran like this.
  8. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I'd change it to, Stop eating when you are about to be full.

9. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

An adequate goal is living long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labours with your kids. And still fitting into a pair of jeans you bought 5 years ago.
    You're right about convenience = crap. I'm also guilty of a "larger than needed" dinner portion. I tend to skip desert though. The girls of the house have the sweet tooth gene. Like mother like daughter.

Bran likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks for sharing Cliff
    Diets don't work, fact is 80% put back the weight and some.

MTR:)

Xenia likes this.
  11. MTR

On another point, I think we all know its about changing lifestyle, but then if it were that easy why is it an epidemic.

I still believe for those who are obese its a disease an addiction and that is the problem, like smoking. At least with smoking you can go cold turkey, not the case with food.

legallyblonde and Xenia like this.
  12. See Change

Yes , That's why a book , backed up with scientific research , addressing specifically that point ( which this does ) is of interest to me .

My initial thoughts are this could be a game changer .

There has been much talk about sugar being a culprit in obesity , b ut nothing I've seen addresses it in such a comprehensive fashion as this book does .

In a sense that's reflective of thinking upto now , but the reality is changing that hasn't worked in terms on enabling people to make changes .

Much of the processed food we eat , stimulates increased release of insulin which makes the body store fat .

Changing the food types we eat ( same calories ) stimulates less insulin so we store less fat . That's the basic premise .

You feel fuller , less cravings stop over eat .

Cliff

Last edited: 19th Jan, 2016
    Perthguy and MTR like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

By that I take it to mean lower GI foods (ie unprocessed foods with less/no added sweeteners) which make the body work to break them down thus controlling the production of insulin.

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The author looks familiar. I think I've seen him on one of the recent sciencey shows I watch on SBS

15. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

With how fast people normally eat yes, because there is a lag between when the stomach gets full and when it signals to you that it is, so people often overshoot and that is why people say what you are saying. The main reason why step 3 (eat slowly and mindfully) is there is to reduce/eliminate that lag, hence a feeling of full actually means full.

The shortcut I have developed is that I can now look at a plate of food, determine how much of it will adequately fill me and then proceed to eat just that amount as fast as I want. I know that I will still feel hungry when finished after eating fast but I know that this is a false signal and that within 30 mins I will feel full, so I ignore it. If you are not strong willed enough to do this, eating slowly and mindfully does the trick.

Bran and MTR like this.
  16. MTR

Another trick I use is drink one glass of water prior to eating food.

I try to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.

Our major issue is we eat out at least twice per week and we have friends over on weekends which means we are preparing lots of food.

Our lifestyle is revolved around friends, food, alcohol and this is very difficult to give up without being miserable.

I suppose one way around this is cook healthy fresh food and cut back on alcohol.

17. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Isn't that the only way? ;) What brand do you prefer?

Yep... socializing and simultaneously eating healthy is tough/expensive. I've given up alcohol in the past, but you do get a couple of funny looks sometimes.

Xenia and MTR like this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Conversely, you could give up food ;)

datto likes this.
  19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have don't this many times: gone on a "diet", lost a heap of weight, gone back to 'normal eating', put all the weight back on plus more. Each time I was fatter than when I started.

Definitely worked for me. Lost the weight. Did not put it back on.

20. Xenia

Xenia Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

4/136 The Parade Norwood, South Australia
    Serenity - we buy olive oil, meat and veg, eggs directly from farmers - unbranded.
    Most of the farmers are our clients so we are also supporting people who support us.
    I would love to do away with all supermarket food but I do fall into the convenience trap at times so still very dependent. But where possible, we purchase "real food" in bulk from growers, mainly meat and oil - veggies about twice a month and the rest is supermarket brands.

Perthguy likes this.