Aluminum venetian blinds or fabric curtains

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by melbourne171, 8th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

My tenants request windows dressing. Windows have previously installed with fabric curtains but all were removed. For the budget solution, should I install Aluminum Venetian blinds or fabric curtains ?

Do you know any suppliers and installers in Brisbane?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It depends. Is it just for privacy, or is it to keep the heat in or out?

If for heat, then thermal curtains would be best or possibly thermal roller blinds or roman shades.

You can also get plastic venetians that are very cheap (from Spotlight) - but no thermal bebefit. I buy my blinds etc in their 30-50% off sales!

If the windows are standard sizes, then blinds (Venetian or roller) are easy to buy off the shelf from spotlight etc. and have a handy person install. However you do need the top architraves to be the right width for off the shelf blinds to be screwed into. The blind needs to be wide enough to cover the window, but not so wide, the blind's side brackets miss the arcs. (A handy person can always add a piece of wood to compensate for this, though, just makes it a bit more complicated)

Curtain rods, however, will fit on any width window.

Last edited: 8th Dec, 2016
  3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I don't like aluminium venetians... the slats get bends in them. If you go venetians then perhaps get PVC venetians. You can get them from Bunnings or Spotlight. They are easy for tenants to clean (spray n wipe and a sponge).

Joynz likes this.
  4. TroySeven

TroySeven Well-Known Member

My opinion - Blockout Fabric Curtains.
    I've recently grabbed about 60 responses from tennants in my IP area all wanting curtains over (venetian) blinds.
    Also, Spotlight currently have a 30% sale on right now.
    I'm heading there tonight to grab ours :)

wylie likes this.
  5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I hate shopping at spotlight, they advertise and usually don't have stock.
    I just buy it online from them and get it delivered. Saves the headache of looking around for staff for help. The people serving are nice, there just arent enough of them.

6. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I hate venetian blinds with a passion, curtains so much easier to look after and easier to replace.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia