Alternative to 'CrimSafe' screens

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tim & Chrissy, 8th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Thank you :). We have six pane glass and timber windows but they are opened too far or there is too much light coming in to see them in the photo. We didn't close our windows all winter. Some winters we do but closing the shutters at night was enough this past winter to keep out the cold.

On some windows we have the frame that sits proud (as per photos) and the French doors are less "bulky" with the frame able to be installed within the timber architrave/frame (depends on clearance and type of latches in older houses like ours).

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I see. Sounds perfect for french doors. Would you mind posting a french door pic?

3. wylie

I'll do that tomorrow :). Need my beauty sleep now :p:D.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I just got all excited for our french doors then I remembered I need flyscreens as we get a lot of mosquitoes and flies. I'm trying to work out the best solution for 10 sets of french doors that are on our verandahs-to-be. I was thinking french doors with plantation shutters opening inwards to rooms and then security mesh/crimsafe doors on the outside. Just seems like soooo many layers.

Sorry for the hijack but if the brains trust could think of a way to have security/ventilation/insects/light and french door sorted it would be helpful.

WattleIdo likes this.
  5. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    We also initially looked at the security plantation shutters for the living room sliding door. They were all aluminium construction, with locks, super sturdy and very good looking. Completely blocked out the lights so that's great for privacy. However they are quite thick on their mechnism, so "consumed" a bit of room space and very very costly! In the end we did not go ahead with that option given the cost but worth looking at I suppose if you have the budget :)

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Board up all external openings, bypass the msb & start a hydro lab - mozzies won't stand a chance.

datto likes this.
  7. Westminster

Nor will I care once I'm half baked :confused:

8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Dont let Kimmy's dad hear you talking about using another brand!

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  9. wylie

The louvres we have can be made with flyscreens but we didn't want them. I'll add more detail and a photo when I get out of bed :p.

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Good point, he didn't seem like the forgiving type in Underbelly.

11. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

We've got a mixture of Crimsafe and Invisigard on our PPOR, mostly because the place we got them from stopped using Crimsafe in favour of Invisigard. We saw a few comparison pieces, the mesh is the same but the Invisigard frame seemed thicker and stronger than Crimsafe. Don't know about cost as no 2 windows that I've had done have been of comparable sizes but both aren't cheap. Light wise it's not much different to an aluminium flyscreen.

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  12. wylie

These are the french doors downstairs. You'll have to use a bit of imagination as our son's stuff is packed in front of it while he renovates. These doors had enough depth to the jamb to allow the whole door to be inset into the jamb rather than built out a little like our windows upstairs.

Behind the louvres are a set of 1600mm wide, twelve light french doors which open and flap back against the outside of the house downstairs. They are closed now because we are storing an outdoor setting on the porch and because we can't get to the doors to open them (inside OR out).

You can see we chose mid-rail with opening louvres above and below. When we are not being a storage facility we usually have the glass and timber external french doors open most of the year, and close them for the winter. Being a living area downstairs, the louvres themselves are rarely closed but provide airflow, security and privacy when needed. These can be fitted with flyscreens too, but we didn't want them.

A problem I could see is that having large doors like this opening into the house would be a PITA for furniture placement. For us, this is not an issue because in around August we open the outside doors and they stay that way until maybe June. They generally are only closed for two months at most. IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0077.JPG We also don't use these doors to get in and our like you would want for a patio, so for any door that you open regularly, you'd need to make sure there wasn't furniture in front of it.

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Reckon you'll get LOTS of midgees out your way also, consider miniweave.

I'm imagining a full wrap around verandah?

Inwards & outwards can be a pain re the way you set out furnishings (takes up space)

Bi-folds are ok, provides a big opening on nice days, when entertaining etc

What about Stylish glass sliders with retractable screens.

Hope these help...

WattleIdo likes this.
  14. Westminster

@WestOz the rooms are all giant sized to cope with the doors/shutters or fly screens opening inwards and the verandahs are 2500-3000mm deep so can handle the other half of the door opening outwards. And yes it's a wrap around verandah. The bedrooms/offices have french doors and the living areas have stacking doors or bifold doors as they are bigger and more suited to that.

Yes midgies too.

15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Won't work. The mozzies will bring all their friends round for a big party every night.

16. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Crimsafe claim to have a patented screw clamp which holds the mesh in a better way to the door frame... The last time I ordered security doors it looked the best to me. Maybe the others have come up with something as good. I don't think the mesh varies from brand to brand much, the way the door/window screen is put together is possibly more important, no good if you belt the door/window screen with an axe a few times and the mesh pops out of the frame!

I stayed in a house in Cleveland and every single window had crimsafe, I thought it was a very dark house on a cloudy day... It had the heavy push out frames that allow the screen to hinge from the top and push open for cleaning and fire escape.

17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thanks, both those clips very useful. CB very good at showing and explaining in this one.