Alternative to 'CrimSafe' screens

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tim & Chrissy, 8th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

We had CrimSafe security screens installed on a number of windows last year. We had to deal with their exclusive supplier for the area and it was an unnecessarily painful and protracted process.

Does anyone know of alternates to CrimSafe? I.e. see through security screens, not bars or diamond pattern style.

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha. I just posted a similar thread.

Did you lose much light installing the crimsafe?

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

4. Tim & Chrissy

And I just posted on your thread!

I'm actually not sure, it's an IP. The place has ocean views filtered by trees so we went CrimSafe to avoid ugly bars. Ours is a giant window so I don't know if we would really notice a change in light, they would only take up about 20% of the entire window.

We want to put them on the downstairs windows but you've got me thinking now.

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Crimsafe is just a brand name, any screen supplier can offer similar if not better.

Get a few quotes, our mid size regional town has more than half a dozen Co's supplying them, only thing I suggest is to query the quality of their door locking mechanisms, some are more durable/long lasting than others.

moyjos likes this.
  6. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Alternatives to the vastly overpriced Crimsafe brand (someone has to pay for their advertising) are Invisigard, Supascreen, Secureview, ..the list goes on.

All the others are 316 marine grade stainless steel and are all built to Australian Standards. Do not be fooled by the line that Crimsafe is stronger than 316. The difference is negligible (we have a door at work where an ex boyfriend attempted to break in with an axe and did not get through the door.... But we have many examples of heavily corroded Crimsafe doors)

EN710, Westminster and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  7. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Correct. As long as it is a Witco, Austral or Lockwood Triple Lock. They will come up to Aus standards.

Tim & Chrissy and Bran like this.
  8. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I bought one of the other brands and had a deadlock put on it. I can then leave the glass door open in my bedroom and get the fresh air at night. It is very safe and locks well. It does stop a certain amount of light but the air gets through very well.

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  9. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    We got the secureview product installed. Great stuff, very solid, 3 points locking mechanism. It does reduces the amount of light that gets in, but it's great for air flow, provides good security and when standing a few meters from it, one can see straight through. I would definitely install on another property.
    Perhaps something to be mindful of is the doorframe in which you are installing the product. The product is as strong as the doorframe that holds it.

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We don't have flyscreens (shock, horror apparently :p:D) but we didn't want security bars on every window, so we removed them and added secure metal shutters, which we love. They are not cheap, but from memory, a normal window size was about $700(ish).

DSC04996.jpg

11. Tim & Chrissy

We really like the plantation shutter look but won't it block most of the natural light?

12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Do these open and close Wylie, or are they fixed?

13. wylie

These block out light very well when closed, but when open, not at all.

They open and close (the louvre part) and each window is keyed to allow the whole thing to swing inwards to open and close the timber windows or to clean them or to escape in the event of a fire. We've gradually put them on most of our windows.

Our bedhead is pushed into a box bay and we just reach up and open and close to allow light and breezes in. We loooooove them.

14. MBowen

MBowen Active Member

No input apart from the crimsafe ads *hit me off.

15. Tim & Chrissy

Time for a visit to a few showrooms I think.

16. Tim & Chrissy

CrimSafe ads are music to my ears compared to The Blind Factory ads!

MBowen likes this.
  17. wylie

Found some, posted them but have adjusted the light levels to be more true to how light the rooms are when these are open. When closed, we need a light even in the daytime. They act as great blockout when you need it. We could add curtains, but that isn't the look we want. (And I cannot believe how much stuff I dump on our drawers, clearly I cleared them before taking this photo). IMG_7089.jpg IMG_7091.jpg

Last edited: 8th Mar, 2016
    EN710 and WattleIdo like this.
  18. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

If you install Crimsafe on your home you can reduce your home insurance costs. I installed a single front screen door and from memory it dropped $9 a month off my monthly insurance costs. It should be paid off in around 7 years :D

JacM likes this.
  19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Do you have glass windows behind them?
    We used to have aluminium louvres in PNG - don't remeber any glass. Never got lower than 24°. Who needs windows? Just wondering how easily they fit into window frames? They look great.

20. FKS

FKS Active Member