Alternative investments

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by Jess Peletier, 4th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

A few years ago I bought 3 bottles of first release whisky from a new Tasmanian distiller - I paid about $600 from memory for the 3, and at last check they were worth well over $1000 each. Not sure what they're worth now, but more I'd expect given the lack of supply. A nice gain so far, even though the capital was tiny - going into the deal I figured if they didn't move I'd drink it, so I couldn't lose. :)
    The whisky everyone wants, but can't have

I'm curious what other alternative investments people have put money in, and whether they've been worthwhile?

dmb1978, Tranquilo and Brian84 like this.
  2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

When I was at college I was renowned for picking up free cars. About my only requirement was that a) they were running and b) they could get registered.

Often there was mechanical issues with them, but as someone with some very basic mechanical skills I could usually get them going (and I learned a lot about mechanics while I was at it). My biggest issues was that I lacked a lot of tools (if it needed more than a screw driver, size 12 spanner, or a sledge hammer I was in trouble).

But I would get them going, get them licensed (if not already) drive them for 6months and then sell them to other students.
    I could usually get about $500-$1000 for a running, licensed car.

Blacky

Bran and Jess Peletier like this.
  3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Not really an investment but a month ago I bought tickets to some Lakers games in the states (games are in March 2016).

Since that time - one of the famous players (Kobe Bryant) has announced it's his last season. The tickets to his games this season are now selling quicker - and when I last looked, are already a fair bit more than what I paid. His last game (which is against a mediocre team) is a sell out - with second hand tickets going for $1.4k for bad seats. Crazy.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

At what point are you cashing out? ;)

Bran likes this.
  5. House

House Well-Known Member

Sullivan's Cove... The gf bought me a bottle for my birthday and we drank it that weekend. Didn't realize how scarce they had become so quickly. Oh well.

I bought 2 boxes of 2014 $1 Mob of Roos coins that were in big demand due to limited mintage. Paid $1,200 per box and sold both for $4,800 :)

Jess Peletier likes this.
  6. Jess Peletier

We've had a few bottles of non-first release that we've drunk as well - wish we hadn't now but it was very nice! My Dad was distilling for Overeems and he got paid in whisky. He has a few barrels somewhere that are earning him a nice packet.

7. cdchi1

cdchi1 Well-Known Member

12 years ago I went on a contiki tour (yes I was young once). As part of the tour we went to a small German village called St Goar and were taken to a Stein store.

There I was convinced to 'invest' in a stein that had a piece of the Berlin Wall attached to the top of the stein.

Unfortunately, not such a good investment as it turns out :( I could happily drink one of those bottles of whisky out of it though.

Couple years ago was convinced to purchase a 10% interest in a racing horse for $4k. Another dud, in the 4th race it hurt its leg and would not race again. We gifted the horse to a little girl.

No more alternatives for me. A friend of mine however makes a very lucrative living out of wine investment.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is the alternative to investing spending?