Health & Family Alternate strategy to achieve rewarding lifestyle and wealthy retirement

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by proper_noobie, 18th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Oh this made me laugh.

legallyblonde and Sonamic like this.
  2. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

We've travelled the world with our kids. We've made plenty of money with our kids. Slept in too. Sure, you have to make some allowances, but you can choose to be active with your kids; you are certainly not staked down for 20 years.

I have friends in both camps. I respect their decisions, they respect mine. It's really a non-issue. Our kids get actively involved in our renos now and they have even gotten involved with property searches, DD and inspections. It's amazing the input that they can give and they things that they see on their level. In fact they've become so much involved, building wealth has become almost a sport for them. So much so we may have to find ways to try and balance it out a bit.

At the end of the day, you have to do what pleases you.

ellejay, Nemo, Chabs and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

No; it's called....."First Class Section";)

legallyblonde and Sonamic like this.
  4. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

We (the child free public) thank you for your effort!!!! Much love @Bayview!!

5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I thought, what if your Dad had the same thought ;)

LibGS and HUGH72 like this.
  6. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

Then I wouldn't be around to worry about it

7. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

Something like this?

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

9. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I think there is a market for the odd child-free flight, if for no other reason than to allow passengers to have a high level of confidence they'll get some sleep during the flight. Most folks won't (or cannot afford to) fork out for a 1st class or Business Class seat, but would surely happily pay a bit more for their economy class seat if it meant more sleep.

legallyblonde and ellejay like this.
  10. Bayview

I would simply take some Phenergan or some other form of sleeping tablet if I had an issue with kid noise keeping me awake.

11. Bayview

Um; no - I agree with you.

I have been witnessing this trend for decades...thought it was just me and my cynical mind.

12. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

There you go again making excuses . Why would kids stop you randomly crashing at a mates place??? Why would they stop you buying a 2 door car? Don't join a parents club its not compulsory?? I don't know whats wrong with a bit of community involvement though, I dunno what you mean by school crèche what ever that is! Whats the problem with a couple of Drs visits ?? (I like a change in routine anyway) I had flights with screaming kids when I didn't have kids. My kids behaved and didn't scream. Having kids doesn't mean you have to stay awake! where does that come from? (they sleep a lot) Don't see what having kids has got to do with fighting idiot kids (really having trouble coming up with a reason), . It appears you just don't want responsibility and that's fine, but your reasons are excuses because they are not really problems, that cant easily be gotten around. It is just a negative cant do attitude, try thinking about it with a can do attitude. I had kids because my wife wanted them, they make her very happy and they give meaning purpose and joy to our life it without the restrictions you imply. They haven't stopped us doing what we want.

Nemo likes this.
  13. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

On a side note - on a recent trip to Europe I had two horror flights. One was a man 'hacking' his phlegm every 3 minutes, made me feel ill and the other was the most offensive stench of body odour from the man in front...not a child problem in sight!

legallyblonde likes this.
  14. Bayview

Don't forget the end of season footy trips too.

15. Bayview

There is no randomly when kids are involved.

This requires a fair amount of pre-organisation ahead of the event to be able to do it.

*The wife has to be available and vice versa when the kids wake up .
    *If she is with you; you need a baby sitter who can be trusted to keep them alive in your absence, and without worry. We personally have no babysitting support from family or friends nearby - all of ours live many miles away (in the metro areas).

We have randomly crashed at a mate's place - with our kids - after a get-together with other parents with similar aged kids.

The next morning; when the kids wake up and you are hung over; is nooo fun.

proper_noobie and freyja like this.
  16. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Friends who have kids are not having it because it doesn't affect their finance, it's because they want to. I'm in the camp of I don't want one, so I don't have one, at least not now.

No one can stop you doing what you want to do whether you have or don't have kids, it's just at least tiny bit more inconvenient, and it is a perfectly valid reason to not want to have kids no matter how trivial it sounds to other people. It's personal choices. Excuses in you ear maybe, not for the person who consider it important.

proper_noobie likes this.
  17. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

The difficulty with that is when you get to your layover stop and have to remain awake while waiting to reboard your flight. It wouldn't do if you found yourself flaked out asleep on an airport chair and your flight has left without you!

Bayview likes this.
  18. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

u mad?

I genuinely laughed reading your un-paragraphed wall of rant. I visualize popping veins and steam escaping from the ears :)

Thanks for proving my choice to be childless is wrong (and giving me a great laugh), because a different opinion (and subject of this thread).

I've got a few minutes, lets play :)

That's a couple more than I have at present.

I mean the idiot kid's parents.

No, I don't want kids. I thrive on responsibility.

orly?

I don't need to get around a situation I don't want and I'm not in.

Why?

Did the kid have a say in the matter? I get asked "What if your kid is the next Albert Einstein?" so my usual response is "What if he's the next Hitler, Stalin or Abbot?"

Not me. I find my freedom gives far more meaning, purpose and joy.

I'm glad to see children works for you. It doesn't work for me. Don't come back with the "It's different when they're yours" either. No it won't be.

Thanks again for the wonderful post. Cheers

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I can say I've seen a single person on this thread say your choice to stay childless is wrong ... actually the majority say "it's your choice".

I think what Fargo was getting at is that your excuses themselves for not having kids is nonsense. You don't want kids. Not a problem ... you don't need to justify your choice with excuses that are just excuses rather than reality.

Don't make any excuses if anyone ever asks - just say you don't want kids at this point in your life.

I read a really good quote once, that has stuck with me ... "excuses are lies to yourself" ... in other words, excuses are merely a justification of your choice rather than factual.

Good on you for making such a choice - I chose to only have one child, in hindsight I wish I'd gone two, but at the wrong end of 40 I ain't going again and I ain't making excuses about it.

EN710 likes this.
  20. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Im in the same boat. No kids but not because we've chosen that.

Half of me is really sad about it. The other half is really happy about it.

There are a lot of positive things about kids. Got to remember they arent always babies or teenagers. The thing I enjoy most about my family is the family get togethers around xmas etc... but im lucky enough to have a really nice and fun family.

But they are a lot of work, and can cause a lot of frustration at times.

Definitely no one size fits all when it comes to kids.