Alone and lonely at Christmas?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Joynz, 24th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

paulF, EN710 and Marg4000 like this.
  2. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

Since both my parents have passed away and most of my brothers and sisters live interstate I will be alone this Xmas, even though I have a flatmate he"ll be at his family gathering,he invited me but I dont know his family so declined.

Last Xmas I was visiting my elderly Mother in a Nursing home so at least it will be quiet this Xmas.

I have a Uber Rideshare licence so maybe I will drive that Xmas day.

3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Whenever I have a lonely xmas I walk to my mate Johnno's place with a case of beer under my arm.

It's a fair walk so by the time I arrive a few cans are gone and I'm pretty well primed up.

A packet of party pies go straight into the oven and we reminisce over many of the Druitt riots that have occurred over the years. Which was the biggest, the most cops in atttendace, the most media coverage etc etc

Whao, look at the time. Might grap a case and start heading over shortly.

Whitecat, jim1964, S.T and 4 others like this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i normally have my kids with me, but this year due to personal reasons I have no plans on xmas day,

I intend to get some junk food, and watch moveis back to back at home,

going to have so much fun,

a few drinks to wash it down too

Sackie likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Love doing similar..can be heaps of fun and just relaxing.

Whitecat likes this.
  7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Have heaps of documentaries to watch, a place to renovate, keep the partner happy, see the folks and just be able to recharge for 2017. Personally and professionally, felt really tried for the majority of the year due to juggling so many competing priorties but wouldn't change it for the world because better to be busy I say!

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It sounds like you will be surrounded by family, which is fantastic.
    But many people are not so lucky.

That's why I started this thread - about being alone at Christmas.

It can be a crushing weight to feel that on the one day that our society says you should (must) be with family and friends there is no one to spend that time with.

Actually, I think it's not so much spending time with family and friends today, but what it symbolises for the rest of a person's life.

I've often spent Christmas alone - while traveling etc. But this was largely out of choice. When it is not of your choosing, it's a different kettle of fish.

9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I agree that it can get really lonely during Christmas but I am also a believer of life is what you make of it. There are always opportunities out there in society but it's a matter on getting out there. I do appreciate that it's not an easy thing to do if a person is an introvert and shy at heart but there are interest groups, social events and other avenues which can increase your social circle.

Btw, I am in support of this thread you created because it does give people some ideas on what to do.

Sackie likes this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Society says alot of crap doesn't mean we have to buy into it. I think it's a good thread to give ideas to ppl but imho no one can make us a victim in life but us.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

On this day, please don't turn this thread away from it's purpose. Helping people get through what can be a tough day.

Let's not move to blaming. It's not a thread about avo gate.

For those surrounded by family and friends today, or choosing not to be, it may be very difficult to 'walk in the shoes' of someone who has no kids, and recently lost a partner or any of the other things that can make today especially hard.

But there are many people for whom today is still the most challenging day of the year. From the outside you might never know (because loneliness has a stigma).

Let's be compassionate.

Whitecat, Angel and DaveyB like this.
  12. Terrychris

My step brother lives in Mt Druitt.
    He invited me over , have their extended family there , even have the neighbours over.
    Apparently using the fence palings as firewood.
    Come over he said, drink, dance, get slottered and then we usually have a boxing match with each other , and we light up the cars across in the Bidwell park that have no wheels !!
    Then when the P.gs come we chuck beer cans at them.

Sounds fun i said,maybe i will come, but if im not there in time start without me will ya" i said.

datto likes this.
  13. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Currently with family. Hoping this will finish up soon so I can go for a surf. I fear my other half has other ideas.

Whitecat likes this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

To think I almost forgot why The Druitt has the cheapest real estate in Sydney. Thanks Terry.

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

We have our Christmas with our best friends and their family this year. It's awesome :)

First time we got invited was years ago and I was worried because I didn't know them very well. It turned out great. I think taking chances on others and accepting an invite is a great idea

Gockie and Sackie like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Your obviously not alone and lonly ..:p

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I have no blood related family in Australia, awesomely lucky to have hubby and great friends. In one way or another, I think you can choose your family ;)

Gockie and Sackie like this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Ouch!! fine. Going back to watch Love Actually by my lonesome self on dvd...:p

WattleIdo likes this.
  19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My daughter in Melbourne had a Cypriot visitor, otherwise knowing nobobody in this country. So my daughter brought her up to Wangaratta yesterday, and we met them and took them to Beechworth where we met up with our other daughter and her partner. No visitor from Cyprus is going to be impressed with Australian "historical" buildings, but we had a lovely lunch in the brewery, they tasted a whole range of beers (and an apple and blue cheese pizza); then went to the gorge where they swam under a waterfall- the highlight.

So she got a great taste of Australian informal celebrations, even if we didn't quite get the message right. Apparently she wanted an Australian christmas at the beach, not at Beechworth.

Joynz and EN710 like this.
  20. Terrychris

How did your Xmas day pan out ?
    What about you Wattle ? And you Leo?

And anyone else alone ?