All previous sales on a property private - is that unsual?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Leftside, 22nd Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Leftside

Leftside Active Member

We have found a property we love. We are trying to look into everything before putting in an offer and everything seems good, there is just one little thing that could potentially be suss.

It sold in 2007 for a bit more than it's listed for now. We also know that the current neighbour is the brother of the guy selling the house (wouldn't be surprised if he sold it to him originally)
    11 John Street, Darlington, WA 6070 - View Sold History & Research Property Values - realestate.com.au
    - Is it odd that all five previous sales are private?
    - Where do those figures (and whether or not is was a private sale) come from?
    - Can we trust the prices we see on the website?

My gut feeling is not negative, and I think it probably did sell for what is listed there. But I worry that this could be 'that old trick'. Like when people buy a cheap car and lie about the price to avoid additional costs. It could easily have been bought from his brother and for whatever reason it may have benefited them to put a higher price than it's actually worth.

The previous sale price does give us some idea what it's worth, but it's obviously a small thing. It's more that this could be a red flag. If it's unusual for that many private sales in a row then maybe it is a bit dodge. And if they have lied about that then of course they are completely untrustworthy.

I'm probably being paranoid but I can't tell if five private sales in a row is unusual?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Why does the price 10 years ago mean anything?

3. Leftside

Leftside Active Member

I agree, the price 10 years ago doesn't mean much.
    But I am asking if five consecutive private sales is a bit weird. It might be normal or extremely odd. If it's really odd then I'd look into it more as it could be a dodgy sign.

4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Not odd. Just pay for the house what you want. Do your due diligence including a building report and check zoning. Talk to the neighbours and explore the neighbourhood. Check the block's zoning. Seems fine on the face of it. Talk to your lawyer if you are concerned.