Alice Springs .........

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Stoffo, 15th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

2. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Yup, before we accuse China of human right abuses in Xinjiang, we should think again...

Alice Spring only has a population of 25,000 while there’s more than 10 million Uyghur Muslims in Xinjiang

3. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Zero argument that there’s not significant social issues in many (most?) indigenous communities that needs some serious attention and support. However the comparison to treatment of the Uyghur is drawing a very long bow.

4. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Alice Springs has never been a nice place. I visited 17 years ago and driving into the town there were 3 burnt out cars. The locals said if you break down don't leave your car because it won't be there the next day if you do. The vibe of the town was keep everything locked and avoid making eye contact.

5. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Agreed, I was there alone for a day in summer 2008. Scorching 45 deg heat. Went in the Woolies and grabbed the last half cut watermelon like I just found a giant gold nugget.

When I came out, I found 4 Aboriginal males looking into my rental Corolla. I sounded the car alarm and luckily for them, they ran off. Otherwise, they would have to limp off...

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I was more interested "if" anyone actually held any investments there.
    For anyone that does I hope they can get insurance cover at a reasonable rate ;)

I haven't been there in well over 30 years, on a family driving holiday :confused:
    I still remember seeing Henly on Todd, and the drunks passed out on the dry river bank
    (Yep, mum & dad were cheap, but we had way more life experiences than you get in Bali)

Don't blame the government or the parents !
    All parents these days struggle, kids have more rights than their parents and do whatever they want will little to no consequences :(
    Plenty of government programs and assistance have been in place for 40+ years.

Assistance is easily available to these troubled teens in the article, they are lost, they won't listen to tribal elders (or learn the old ways) and won't listen to authorities or take advantage of the many programs available, but will happily take monetary handouts :mad:

Just because my heritage is english doesn't mean I can go to Dover and make a claim !
    We have tried to have our 4 children (with their indigenous certification) understand that you get out of this life what you put in to it, taking the so called "free ride" will result in not much of a life :p (no, it's not going well for some of them......)

craigc and Mulianto like this.
  7. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

But I seriously won’t mind to send those troubled kids to the camps like Xinjiang

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I often wonder if reform and rehabilitation is the answer.

Too often in Aus a monetary fine is the deterrent (which is really no more than a revenue stream), but what happens when you don't have money and don't give a #*^@,.... You just get a piece of paper and go offend again :p

In America if you steal a car you go straight to JAIL if caught, in Australia you can not only steal a vehicle but kill 2 adults and their unborn child and argue that it wasn't your fault, that it was drugs or some other misfortune of your upbringing that is to blame :mad:

Time to build 10 Federal jails in a regional area, you reoffend or get a 12 month sentance or more then you automatically get a Federal sentance with NO PAROLEo_O

Each jail built to suit various offences, proper jails where each inmate can't have physical contact with others (for protection via fence, but can see and chat to others) no visitors, no luxuries just the very basics of life/existing.

Fines don't work, time for some REAL sorts of deterrent :D
    Imagine getting caught shoplifting for the second time = jail interstate
    Am not advocating cutting of fingers, just real consequences :cool:
    Pretty soon after implementation people would start thinking "IF I get caught I'm going to jail" instead of thinking "so what IF I get caught" ;)

*our daughter being aboriginal has been caught multiple times shoplifting (jumping trains/other offences) she has no convictions to date (yet her non aboriginal friends have) as the government don't want the high statistics for aboriginal offences, she laughs about getting away with various offences :(

jaybean, craigc and Mulianto like this.
  9. Wazza

Wazza Member

You most certainly CAN blame the parents and also the govt. I live in regional NSW with at risk youths and in the vast majority of cases it is the parents/carers who are at fault. Dad is AWOL or in jail and mum is either an alcoholic or on drugs. The govt enables this nonsense. The baby bonus has been a complete disaster. A lot of people who should not have had kids, had them, and now these babies are teenagers. There is a term police use for these kids..."Plasma babies."

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You are probably right @Wazza

Many issues can be attributed to the parents and Govco, ultimately it is the "free money" being handed out that facilitates some of these poor choices.

It isn't all the baby bonus (now changed), it is far too easy for some to have kids, some do it (my step daughter) so they get more Govco $$'s and a free house, others are just careless..........

You need a license to drive a car, a deposit to buy a house and a qualification for most jobs, but there's no requirements to get pregnant and pop out a kid = WRONG

Govco love kids, population growth is their economic plan !

No investors from Alice Springs on here ?

11. NickWCBA

NickWCBA Well-Known Member

Just flew in today from Alice and have been to and from Alice regularly for the last 5 years. Would I invest there.... not a dime! Ever!
    Is it likely to be a lucrative investment if you do? Bloody probably!
    Alice in an economic hub for many of the surrounding communities, of which, would have 10s of millions of dollars pumped into them yearly. Probably more so actually.
    On top of this... to attract public servants, the NT Gov would be paying big $$$ to attract and retain quality people. Of which, some would without doubt decide Alice is the place for them.
    Let’s not forget pine gap!!! Lots of Americans inconspicuously hanging around the place. Many of which would have their rent paid for by the US government.

Stoffo likes this.
  12. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

The place is stuffed.

Hopefully these tougher laws being introduced help Darwin as it’s on the same track.