QLD Alexandra Hills

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Serveman, 10th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know much about the demographics of Alexandra Hills. At only 22 km from Brisbane towards the South east I have seen properties in the 400's which is almost the same price as Petrie in the north. How do these two suburbs compare in terms of demographics and economic vibrancy and owner occupier apeal?

2. bne123

bne123 Active Member

I have been working locally in the redlands for a while and have many friends who have lived locally for their whole lives.

It's cheap for a reason- Alex Hills is generally known to be a not as nice area as other suburbs like Birkdale or Wellington Point. Although many of my friends do live in Alex Hills, most locals would put Alex Hills at the bottom of the list.

If you had to buy in Alex Hills, the upper part above Finucane Road is known to be nicer.

Serveman likes this.
  3. Serveman

Thanks for taking the time to reply, kindly appreciated.

4. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Redlands is a funny place

There is quite a lot of money in Wello Point, Birkdale and even Alex Hills, yet you can still.buy an entry level priced house

It isnt as far from Brissy as people think, good schools in the area and compared to the rest of brisbane surrounds, no feral locals

could never understand why the area gets so little commentry on this site and SS yet the redcliffe peninsula which is further away, full of fibro shacks and ferals has more threads than just about anywhere in aus

disclosure - own in birkdale, did look at a house in clontarf (redcliffe)

Codie and Serveman like this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I would not buy an IP in Alex Hills as it fails one of my mandatory criteria - must be walking distance (between 500m to 1km) to a railway station

Serveman likes this.
  6. Serveman

Thx stringy 1986, something to investigate.

7. Serveman

Lynx Kierank

8. kierank

Please explain?

Serveman likes this.
  9. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

autocorrect id say. Must have been talking about deodorant recently

10. Mobe9

Mobe9 Active Member

@strongy1986 how do you rate the waterfront around Birkdale? I haven't been there in person but from google maps and images it looks pretty average. Also at low tide how is the smell?

I was lucky enough to grow up on the sunshine coast and places like Peregian and Sunrise beach are my yardstick for what a good beach is.

Serveman likes this.
  11. bne123

bne123 Active Member

Agree

Although Alex Hills may not be the best suburb in the redlands, the general vibe of the area is quite nice- lots of locals, family-orientated and close to the waters.

To compare geographically to Logan, the redlands may fall behind in terms of transport, motorway, proximity to CBD. But one thing I have noticed over the years of working here is that most locals work locally and are not bothered by living a little further away from the city. If they have to travel to CBD, they are quite happy to hop on the train like Thorneside, Birkdale, Wello, Cleveland. Most people head over to Carindale Westfield if they need to do more shopping.

Not sure about good public schools to be honest- but there are some well-known private schools such as Sheldon College and Ormiston College which attract the families.

Would be interesting to hear what others think especially if they own IPs there!

Serveman likes this.
  12. Serveman

Auto correct it was meant to be "thanks", or clumsy fingers.

kierank likes this.
  13. kierank

I thought you were calling me a “wild cat”!!!

Serveman likes this.