Airtasker screwed me :'(

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Momentum, 25th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I got this guy from Airtasker to cut down a plum tree and stump grind it plus 2 other small plants in the front garden of an IP and he hits the main gas line coming into the property (stump was close to the gas meter). The guy panics and runs off before police and fire attend to shut down the street and have the repair fixed. I try calling and send text messages to the guy but he's gone AWOL.

A few weeks later the gas supplier sends the tenants a bill of $815.10 for the repairs. They pass it to me so I email Airtasker who say 'no problem we have insurance that should cover it'. Sweet I think but then the insurance company email me and says this:

Thank you for your patience as we reviewed the matter.

Following the assessment and investigation of the matter, we regret to advise that the claim has been denied on the basis that the task was not on the covered activities list (General and Community Gardening/Lawn Mowing - excluding excavation, landscaping, tree loping / tree surgery activities / stump grinding this task will include the use of lawn mowers where applicable).

For information regarding Airtasker Insurance (including the covered activities), we refer you to the following link; www.airtasker.com/insurance.

Where insurance coverage does not apply, the Worker, who is an independent service provider, is still responsible for their actions and you may wish to consider pursuing the matter directly with them through the appropriate avenues. If you wish to proceed with this course of action, please contact Airtasker Support who can assist with providing you with the Worker’s contact information registered on the platform.

So what's the best course of action? Do i suck it up and pay $815.10 because of this guy's mishap or do I try contact the guy through Airtasker or just put my head in the sand and ignore the phone calls from the gas company asking for payment? Any advice appreciated.

thydzik likes this.
  2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Airtasker didn't screw you. You screwed yourself by selecting the cheapest uninsured random you could find. $815 is a cheap lesson, could have been a lot worse.

punti, thydzik, Codie and 24 others like this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

That's terrible. I wonder if your own insurance will cover it?
    I'd want the airtasker to pay the excess but I reckon you might have trouble getting him to pay.

Momentum likes this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Contact your Fair Trading Authority.

This is BS.

Dean Collins and Momentum like this.
  5. Gockie

Another tip. Never ever pay an airtasker till you are completely satisfied with the work. My brother in law learnt that out the hard way.

And sometimes you may hire incompetent people.

6. Momentum

Bzzzt wrong. The guy told me he's insured. You'd probably say the same to someone who stays at an Airbnb place because they're too cheap to stay in a hotel. Or someone who uses Uber instead of a taxi.

Great point, I'll contact them and see if they'll help out.

Cheers bro I'll do that if insurance won't pony up.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2017
    DCO90, Redwing, datto and 1 other person like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the worker ran off before he could be paid. The repair at $815 is not too bad compared to what it could have been I think.

I wonder how many people read the insurance clauses with airtasker? I don't think I would. Perhaps we just assume too much. Maybe I'll read a few more things in detail in future.

Regardless of whether this work was outside the scope, perhaps you need to make a comment somewhere (reviews?) for people to read the fine print, that you didn't and got stung?

This thread makes me wonder who actually asks to view their tradies' insurances.

Should we be asking to see them? (Most of the tradies we use are friends or we've been using them for so many years I'd be embarrassed to bring it up.)

8. Gockie

I do hope he was insured but his actions weren't particularly professional and don't fill me with confidence....

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Are you sure he was insured? How do you know?

You might just have to sue this guy who will get his insurer involved if he has one.

legallyblonde likes this.
  10. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

did you have to pay for the tree cutting service?I would imagine it was more than $800? If so, pay the gas bill and consider the tree cutting free. Definitely pay it because it will cost you more time and money to pursue the guy. I would still be trying to get compo out of Airtasker as they should not have let that type of job be posted/accepted if their insurance doesn't cover it. I'd threaten to call ACA lol.

craigc, Archaon and wylie like this.
  11. Momentum

In our chat he assured me he was insured and that justified his high asking price ($450) to do the job. You have a point though, maybe I should request to see every trades person's insurance policy and read the fine print to make sure I'm covered.

Na I'm not gonna pay it. I've emailed Airtasker to see if they can resolve it or else I'll go on Reddit and tell the world how they like to screw the small guys to protect their massive profits.

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Accidents do happen o_O

As a gardener "I mow lawns", mostly.....:oops:

Very few people actually have the correct insurance :mad:

Any tree limb over 3m high requires additional insurance :confused:

My public liability is $20mill
    (I wouldn't be without it, I've worked too hard, too long, I have too much to lose)

13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Definitely pay the gas bill though because the gas company will put a default on your credit file if u don't pay it. Recoup the money from airtasker

Marg4000 likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A competent property manager? :rolleyes:

legallyblonde likes this.
  15. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Any trade I bring on has to provide a CoC. In the same way any potential client could ask for a CoC from myself.

16. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

I had a bad experience with airtasker once too. Got a guy to do some webdev work. Initial success, so gave him another job, and then another. After establishing trust, and having no reason to suspect anything, he asked me to pay him directly, no problem the job size isn't too big, under $300, but the guy just ghosted me. Very strange experience, certainly lost a bit of faith in humanity.

The general feeling I get with airtasker is these weasley millenials with delicate hands who will mop your floor or walk your dog for $25+ / hr and know all the damn labour laws. Ugh...

Great experience with gumtree though, every labourer I've ever hired worked so hard. One dude came with a cold. His job was to dig trenches that day. Felt sorry for him, paid him half a day and sent him home.

wylie likes this.
  17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It's really difficult to find reliable trades people, pay them what they are worth and keep them. Don't go for cheap - I've been down that track and it's frustrating every time

Redwing, Tom Rivera and legallyblonde like this.
  18. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I can't think of the last time a 'cheap' job turned into a good job for me, it's hard enough finding qualified trades to do their jobs properly, let alone the cheap ones.

@nambis What a painful situation! I think it's a little bit misleading of Air Tasker, but they have fair legal grounds. Your course of action, if possible, is to track down that tradesperson and take up legal action against them.

Xenia likes this.
  19. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

From the brief look I've had and the prices on air tasker it is very unlikely there is anyone qualified in anything higher than plumbing a bongo

Tom Rivera likes this.
  20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I had to settle for a packer for my bongo. As it turned out, it was @datto so I paid him double what he was asking.

BuyersAgent, bob shovel and datto like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia