House & Home Aircon service rip off

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Rooky, 8th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

I had my reverse cycle aircon serviced today by same company from whom I bought it 3 years back. They quoted 165$ for service which I agreed on.

All the service man did was to hose down with water return air grill and outside unit, fixed return air grill where one screw had become loose. He did not even go in roof space to check whether all air vents are proper or not. After I mentioned that to him, he went in roof space and came back in 3-4 minutes. I have 9 zones in my house and 16 KW system. There is no way he could have checked all vents in 3-4 minutes. In outside panel, he did remove electric cover and just tightened some screws. All this, I could have done myself, no special knowledge or skill required.

I thought he will check refrigerant pressure and conduct some tests regarding whether air is leaking in vents etc. Was I right in assuming this ? What does aircon service involves ?

I am angry for this rip off and want to write strongly to company but before that I want to have my facts right.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds dodgy to me. I would complain.

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Dont pay them.

4. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Yes sounds dodgy but did they actually say what you would get for the "service"?

My aircon was put in by my brother 24 years ago and has never had a "service" and still runs great! (I clean the filters regularly and thats all)

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Usually it's checking/tighten all belts, check for gas leaks, test control panel & grease the palm.

6. wealth

wealth New Member

Just had mine done and he did everything you just mentioned plus he checked the pressure on the outside unit. Also measured the temperature at each vent and see how well calibrated to the controller's temp setting. The technician was quite good as he was explaining to me what he was doing.

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I would expect pressure to be tested from each vent and air flow and all filters cleaned and checked - a "service" is a guarantee that it has been made better so that it can last longer.

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Google the company and give them a review with a one star rating. See if they get back to you.

9. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Hate to break it to you but that is an aircon service.

They won't check the gas pressure unless something isn't working.

At least you know for next time what to do now and can easily do it yourself

10. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

You really are a ball buster aren't you :D

But yea I agree should be more than just wash a filter, but that is what a "service" is. My brother works for an aircon company who do Alot of school maintenance and he washes filters all day his company charges the school over $100 per hour to do this.

Xenia likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Unless their contract has extras for travel to the site, the rate quickly vapourises.

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Ah yes, these posts are like a breath of fresh air.