Aircon maintenance?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Gockie, 18th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

For my Darlington Sydney apartment i had an aircon installed approx last October.
    Would group members suggest I take up this offer or is it more likely to end up costing rather than benefiting me?

Of course, they wouldn't be allowed to come out and do work in the home with the Covid restrictions, so let's assume the offer doesn't end 31st July. Screenshot_20210718-064708_Gmail.jpg

2. Gockie

Ohhh, i just read the very bottom of the email. They say they are an essential service. I personally don't think a maintenance check on an home aircon should be classed as essential!
    Screenshot_20210718-065552_Gmail.jpg

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2021
    Stoffo likes this.
  3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Dirty filters can make people sick. We have to clean our filters every 6 months with a deep clean done annually in our SDA places to ensure we are not making people sick.

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would ,if anyone saw inside the unit on those split systems after running for several years most times the coil is blocked and the front filters are black,then the drain blocks and the system will work harder and cause many problems ,and sometimes a total replacement of the unit..

5. Gockie

I had it installed last October though.

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The front of the unit just lifts up ,if the unit was installed last October and depending on the running times per day then you may be shocked when you look at the filters ,as the filters just slide out and the coil will also need to be cleaned ..

The back to back splits i run in our house i check every 3 months ,and they always need to be cleaned and the coils also ..That way apart from geckos sometimes eating the moterboards ,they will run for 10-15 years ..

I'm not saying in any way to jump on a ladder and have a look yourself ,because the risk factor is very high ..

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2021
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Our system hasn't been run for 40 hours (in 3 years ! )

I still get an email from the installer for an "annual" clean, if it's being used 16 hours a day (like my retired neighbor) then it might be needed every 6 months, but annually is probably enough

It's no more complicated than cleaning most vaccum's, but some can't even clean the dishwasher filter........

It's just another cost at the end of the day