Aircon box unit advice

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by is_don_is_good, 16th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone

I've got an old aircon box unit that doesn't work in an investment property. The tenant never bothered using it until now so didn't care.

It's very old and can't be repaired. Maybe it can but tradies can't be bothered finding the parts.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a kelvinator from the good guys instead of removing it, filling the hole and getting a split system elsewhere in the house.

Just wondering if anyone has had to do the same in one of their places and if they'd recommend a way to keep prices down?

A split system and removing the old unit looks like it'll cost $3000+. Replacing the existing box unit seems like it could be done for $1000 to $15000, depending on power of the unit and if it was reverse cycle.

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Throw in a new window rattler and be done with it, they are cheap. Otherwise you'll have to patch internally & match the panelling externally.

Last time I did one, I left the old one insitu and put in a splitty in another room so had more rooms cooled.

So if you're prepared to spend $3k anyway, replace and add another small split elsewhere.

is_don_is_good likes this.
  3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Window AC is so easy to replace, esp with yours: ground level, existing..You probably don’t even need Sparkie since you have existing powerpoint..
    We had one in guest room, level 2 which we replaced last year. Today’s model are quieter and more efficient, and guests don’t mind the noise, I find the noise hypnotising haha.

Tom Rivera and is_don_is_good like this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have installed a few of these units-At least your power supply is already there,if you install a split then you can do a back too back where the heat pump lines up with the inside unit and brace the outside unit off the wall then limit the pipework or base the unit on the slab then pipe it up..
    The low cost way is just buy a new unit to fit inside the wall space ..imho..

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Nice idea @Scott No Mates to just make the hole into a window

All depends on the property condition and your plans for it..

An older place, that you may sell or develop in the next year or so, replace the box with a new box.

If you want to improve the place and have some depriciation, spend the money on a split system

is_don_is_good and wylie like this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

My a/c is about 40 years young and a in the wall type with a 1.8 metre high box on the outside.

The repair man keeps telling me to get a new one. I tell him to just repair it and I pay a few hundred ........ tax deductible. It runs for a few years in between repairs. Found this to be the cheaper option than buying a new one.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Bunnings offer a fixed price install (assuming power is near unit and install is back to back, or close to it) of $599.

I would not install a window unit. They are under powered and really noisy and not efficient. Splits of the right capacity for the area to cool and heat are a better option and inverter models deliver more capacity without more costly power supply issues. To get better value also consider a ceiling fan nearby to move the air further. A split wont add value as such but would be better perceived value v's a window rattler.

Removing the old unit is simple - Have installer degas it (the gas is toxic and also harmful and its illegal to dump it in air) and then you can cut, grind and dispose of two sections + pipework at recycling centre. DONT dump on street etc...The compressor and head unit each contain toxic crap that recyclers recover.

$3k to install and remove seems high but depends on power and drainage for water the units produces.

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

is_don_is_good and datto like this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Older models had parts...Modern ones are disposable

10. Scott No Mates

@datto - you must be an accountant, why depreciate at 6.67%/yr when maintenance is 100% :rolleyes:

11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Is it hard to get a receipt when you pay in cash..

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I replaced one in a brick veneer house. Saved money by helping with the install. The wall mounted boxes are quite heavy.

The important thing is to be sure that the new unit fits in the existing hole. More important with brick though, than with weatherboard, which can be altered more easily!

My new one is a little smaller than the old one, so I had to caulk the outside and put architrave around the inside.

13. is_don_is_good

Just wondering how you can tell if there's an existing powerpoint as opposed to hard wired? I can't see it from the photos.

14. Scott No Mates

WFG I believe ;)

From previous installs, most window rattlers are sit and use a gpo.

15. is_don_is_good

I had a repairman out to service and repair it. He serviced it and said some parts needed to be replaced for it to be fixed. Couldn't find the parts I'm afraid.

datto likes this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

A good repairman will make a compromise fix, ie a work around, a bodgie or get the part specially made. Something to get that ol' horse running again.

Of course you have to pay for it. Money talks.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia