Airbnb

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by turk, 27th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Airbnb and associated landlords are absolutely despised here in Barcelona. Banned, though there are many illegal lets, and a few landlords have old tourist licences (not issued anymore). It is destroying communities within some areas of the city.

An organisation I´m associated with struck up a sponsorship deal with Airbnb, it was cancelled within a day last weekend following threats and widespread media criticism when tshirts with the Airbnb logo were seen in public. After being fined 60K Euro (which they haven't paid), Airbnb are trying to win support by sponsoring local groups but it backfired immensely last weekend. Many places around the world are doing the same, out of control Airbnb guts local communities.

Anyway, only longer term lets for my IP here in Barcelona, wouldn´t touch Airbnb with a bargepole.

2. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

So who pays tax and who doesn't?
    Who has been caught out not paying tax?

3. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Stayed in some amazing places but i do find that many hosts love the money but don't provide the service. They see you as an inconvenience. Stayed in a great unit in Melbourne two weeks ago.
    overlooking the river and Crown. Absolutely filthy. I have never stayed in a hotel so dirty.

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Befote you booked did you look at the ratings and comments from past guests?

5. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

Make sure you give honest review too.

6. Gockie

This is cool. Airbnb now will tell hosts age info on the guest (rather than the host having to guess or ask).
    While plenty of under 25s are fine, there is the possibility of less than brilliant younger guests. I had one lot sneak in with an extra undeclared person (sure that happens more than I know), and that same group of guests also managed to burn my carpet with an iron (I got compensated for it).
    "I was going to tell you". Ummm... but you didn't.....
    "Can you waive xxx because we are poor students?"
    Ummm.. no, sorry.
    2016-10-15 20.47.28.png

7. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

That's useful. Age is one of the things I use when deciding whether or not to accept a reservation.

8. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Discrimination?

(impossible to prove - unless you tell the applicant so)

9. Depreciator

Definitely discrimination.
    And age is only one of the things I use to filter enquiries.

10. Gockie

image.png
    I just wanted to share this review.... Great guest :D

turk likes this.
  11. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Which countries of guests you guys most host? Mine are mostly Singaporeans lol.

12. Gockie

Hmmm Australians from Melbourne would be #1. Australians are great because they tend not to ask stupid questions.

Then Chinese (can be messy, can steal all your stuff like food and toilet paper etc! can't really guess though), Singaporean, then Europeans. Also some Taiwanese.
    Not much a fan of Americans, but those with kids are fine. :) (Check their reviews).
    Can't recall ever really having Africans, (South African, maybe, but not any other Africans), had some Philippines enquiries but never converted. I've had middle eastern enquiries too but never converted them to bookings.

Also, had plenty of South Koreans.

And watch out. .. some Chinese use a lot of Internet. Like all video for hours. Rarely happens though.

Last edited: 26th Oct, 2016
  13. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I just had first American guest this week, seem to be a nice old couple, first time trying Airbnb.

Now speaking of kids, have you had any issues with Aussie families with kids? I have few ones with kids in coming weeks, not really sure whats gonna happen. I found reviews pretty useless sometimes. The thing with review is, either most hosts don't leave honest reviews, or the guests could be first time trying the site so they wont have reviews. I had to go with my instinct most times.

My best experiences are still with guests from Singapore, they are very well educated and responsible as well. Chinese.... you have go firm with them, as in state a lot of rules up front, otherwise they have this mentality of "customers are king", lol.

Was hoping to get more guests from Japan but hardly any. Don't mind to meet more Americans or Europeans as well.

14. Gockie

I just had first American guest this week, seem to be a nice old couple, first time trying Airbnb. :) Some are great :). Others are absolute pains.

Now speaking of kids, have you had any issues with Aussie families with kids? I have few ones with kids in coming weeks, not really sure whats gonna happen. I found reviews pretty useless sometimes. The thing with review is, either most hosts don't leave honest reviews, or the guests could be first time trying the site so they wont have reviews. I had to go with my instinct most times.
    No issues. Some Chinese families with kids though.... very bad.

My best experiences are still with guests from Singapore, they are very well educated and responsible as well. Agree. Very good.

Chinese.... you have go firm with them, as in state a lot of rules up front, otherwise they have this mentality of "customers are king", lol. Yep, one lot left the place a huge mess, others steal stuff.

Was hoping to get more guests from Japan but hardly any. I hardly get them too. Don't mind to meet more Americans or Europeans as well. Europeans yes. Americans... not so keen. Canadians fine. :)

15. Depreciator

I have had a run of Americans, Canadians and English with a few locals tossed into the mix. I don't take kids and rarely accept bookings from people under 40.
    The only requests I get from Singapore are around the time of the Hillsong conference. I regrettably tell them I am enthusiastically heathen and they might not feel comfortable staying at our place as there are usually sinners hanging around. I also tell them that we are on the wrong train line for Homebush. I suggest a place on the trainline where they might find appropriate accommodation - Kings Cross.

16. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Hi All,

i was wondering if i purchase a property with body corp and then start doing airbnb can the body corp go to a vote to not allow airbnb? Cheers, Elives

17. Depreciator

Depends on the state. It has recently become harder for body corps in NSW to outlaw Airbnb.

18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.