Airbnb yields in Melbourne dropping

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by geoffw, 5th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

That's good to hear :)

My wife and I are going to give it a go - our main concern was vacancy rates but I guess that's the same concern every new host has.

I'll report back in a few months.

@Gockie I might have to hassle you with questions :)

Cheers

Jamie

Gockie likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Just wondering about the other side of the demand/supply equation. As more accommodation is going to Airbnb in increasingly statistically significant amounts, the supply of normal rental accommodation would be dropping, putting pressure on rents ...

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I reckon this might only affect some areas that are near beaches or near the city. Also, people are renting out spaces they would not have rented out otherwise. For example, unused downstairs areas of their homes, studios in their backyards, holiday homes they may own on the coast...

4. geoffw

I don't think that the overall numbers in Australia are big enough to have a real effect, but it is possible, especially in the beach and inner city areas.

I know of people overseas who rent apartments especially for the purpose of subletting rooms to Airbnb customers. There are quite a number of whole houses available.

It has had an effect overseas.
    The 'Airbnb effect': is it real, and what is it doing to a city like Amsterdam?

5. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I don't believe this will have a negative effect, if anything it could be a positive long term! AirBNB is predominantly short stay accomodarion, long term renters want stability.
    If more people go down the road of letting Airbnb for higher rates then the supply for actual long term rentals decreases. Lower supply means more valuable stock which equals higher rent.

The other thing is in desireable areas, renters will begin to sublease. A best mate of mine lives in Rose Bay and frequently does this when he travels overseas. The subleasing covers his rent and pays for his holiday!! As this becomes more adopted (put aside the fact it's probably illegal) renters in these suburbs will happily pay a bit of extra rent with the knowledge they can sublease to the next Chinese tourist family.

6. geoffw

I agree. That was my point- my apologies that I didn't explain that so well.

albanga likes this.
  7. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

@Jamie Moore what type of property are you going to put on air bnb

@geoffw whats your opinion on air bnb in canberry

8. Jamie Moore

5 bedroom place in the Inner North.

Would be an incredible place for families. Nice and close to the city.

Going to test it out for 6 months and then decide whether to continue with Air BnB or rent it out normally.

Cheers

Jamie

S1mon likes this.
  9. geoffw

@S1mon Most Airbnb appears to be inner city apartments. If it's not, it usually has something to make it unique. Like a lot of bedrooms.

That may help to use up the oversupply of high rise apartments in Canberra.

S1mon likes this.
  10. Gockie

Checkout the other listing in the area. If they look like they are attracting strong bookings (look in their calendars), then it's feasible. 5 bedrooms though = heaps of washing and sheet changing. Unless you can somehow get the guests to put the sheets on the beds themselves!! :)

Last edited: 7th Oct, 2016
  11. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

We stayed in an Airbnb in Barcelona where we had to make the beds. We have stayed in one three times in Forster where we make the beds. The linen is in a bag delivered by a local laundry. It never worries us at all having to do that. A friend of mine with an Airbnb up in the Blue Mountains goes one step further and people need to bring their own linen. His place is always booked out.

12. geoffw

I just thought. Anything near big government departments could be good. Woden, Belconnen, Barton. To catch the short term people.

When I had my flock of bats (9 1br) I would often get people Monday to Friday- the people who didn't get paid expenses. The people who had expenses paid would have units where the rent exactly matched the travel allowance, at that time 50% higher than normal rent.

13. Jamie Moore

Thanks for the advice.

I think our place will do well - especially for families who are on holidays or looking for a short term stay before getting themselves established.

We'll probably keep one room as a kids play room - and then four bedrooms for sleeping upstairs.

There will be a basketball court and large playset out the back.

With playsets, etc - I assume we'd need to get a disclaimer written up? use are your own risk type thing.

I'm excited to see how it goes!

Cheers

Jamie

geoffw likes this.
  14. geoffw

Jamie

I've seen a place this size converted into two separate units- a still large house with a small unit. That place was well suited for the conversion, the yield on completion wasn't too bad.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  15. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

In other news, has anyone else noticed how much "Stayz" is now scrambling!
    Complacent for far too long with a horrible website with dismal functionality.
    They will now slowly fade into the distance, their last dollars spent trying to finally advertise themselves on The Block commercial breaks.

16. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Yes this is what is happening in Barcelona, airbnb is really destroying some parts of the city as locals are pushed out by landlords who airbnb the properties instead. A lot of people hate it, including the council who have blocked further growth by not issuing tourist licences anymore. Still a lot of illegal properties out there, council is catching up with them though, huge fines (even airbnb itself was fined 60K).

17. Depreciator

Yes, Airbnb are new comers to the space, but have done things well. I looked at Stayz five years ago and it was hopeless. That's why I listed on Airbnb. Back then hosts had to collect the money themselves and all sorts of clunky stuff like that. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

18. Gockie

Hosts I stayed with in Melbourne also list their property on bookings.com.
    Fine to have multiple ways to attract bookings as long as you manage your calendar well.

19. geoffw

My wife used to work for takeabreak.com before it was bought out by Stayz. It was essentially a boutique accommodation website, with largely small managed accommodation businesses, a space between hotels and what is now airbnb.

It was clunky. But it was just a startup which grew. It was nowhere near as good as wotif, but it succeeded because it positioned itself well in the market. However if it had not been bought out by Stayz I suspect it would not have survived.

The people who started it made a motza from the sale.

20. Depreciator

The bloke who started Stayz did well, too. He sold it to Fairfax, who then sold it to someone else.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia