Airbnb superhost

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Gockie, 16th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi all,
    I just made airbnb superhost.... there are a few criteria but the main one is you have to have at least 80% 5 star reviews over the last 12 months.

Previously i'd either been really close to it (just under 80% 5 star reviews dammit!) and/or I had to cancel a couple of bookings which stops the eligibility for superhost for 12 months.
    I'm thinking though, so many people are getting superhost status now.

Is it just my perception? I wonder if more hosts are becoming superhosts in general?
    Any ideas?

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2018
  2. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I was just made superhost this review cycle as well. Hugs. :)
    I agree with you, I think that's why Airbnb is changing the superhost criteria from July, the host need to have 4.8 overall rating to be eligible.
    Also so far I haven't noticed being a superhost has changed my listing views, what do you reckon?

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I've been lucky enough to have it pretty much since I started - 5th quarter for me just then. I can't really tell if it makes much difference to be honest - it doesn't really feel any different.

It does seem a lot of hosts have it in my area as well.

4. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Hmm interesting, is this the case for all current superhosts as well? i.e. if they're already superhosts but averages under the 4.8 overall rating, does this mean that they will no longer be superhosts on 1 July? I can only assume that it does. I wonder whether there is additional benefits when you are a superhost with the new requirements?

5. Gockie

The superhost calculation is always reassessed every quarter so people can be in or out each quarter.

Me personally... so far I haven't seen any increases in enquiries or bookings.

6. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Can i ask. What is your occupancy rate?
    Hoe muxh more profitable is Air bnb vs renting conventional.

Say for a location in City or Coogee or Bondi?

7. Pentanol

After you reach your break-even point (furnishing your place, buying amenities, paying for internet and energy etc) I would say that you should earn more than 1.7+x (I'm around 2x mark on average) your normal long term rental. Initially you may need to set your price quite low just to get people in there to get enough reviews. To improve your yields, I would suggest doing the cleaning and managing yourself if you have the time (I've been doing this since August). You would also need to be quite proactive in how you price your place and price it like a perishable good as the day approaches if you want to maximise revenue, otherwise it will be a vacant day. I would say occupancy for me hasn't fallen below 80%, it's mainly been above 90% for me and I'm in the Korean suburbs.

Like all products, you need to find a way to set your listing apart from other places so for your place you're in a good position and I would definitely suggest you use an interior designer to make it, for a lack of better words #instaworthy.

Hmm interesting, let me know if anything changes. It's been pretty tough to get superhost with the old system already - wish they would make it more than 80% who have given you a score of 4 or 5!

8. Gockie

A score of 4 isn't good enough...

9. Illusivedreams

@Gockie

What is your experience with AirBnB vs long term rental?
    Would you say 1.5 times income after costs?

Thank you @Pentanol good advice

How does summer vs winter compare?

10. Gockie

Hi @Illusivedreams. Thanks for the question. I'm going to be honest with you. Would you like to be a good host? Then I'd like you to do a little work on yourself before considering being a host. I'd like you to read "How to win friends and influence people". I think you'll get a lot out of the book. Hosting is very much a people thing... you have to put yourself into the shoes of a guest... not straightforward... at this moment i'm not sure the way you interact with people is quite suited for hosting just yet.
    However, that can be changed without much difficulty. The book doesn't take long to read but it provides a lot of positive ways to interact with people and get the best of of people. Personal growth for aspects of life :)

If you don't want to do that, it's ok, but I highly recommend it.

Cheern likes this.
  11. Illusivedreams

Point definitely taken :) i dont think i need another reply apart from i do understand.

12. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

I wonder if i can rent a slum .

I bet there would be a few wanting one of my old flats in the city

13. Gockie

:)

14. Pentanol

I respectfully disagree. Even if you're not capable of being a good host as implied by the post, it doesn't mean you can't be an Airbnb host. Though that book is pretty good and I do recommend it too, in the short term there's no reason why you can't outsource or hire someone else to do the people facing part of it. :) For example, why teach an Analyst how to be a Salesperson when you can hire someone else who have the skills and qualifications already?

You don't really even have to see the guests anymore especially with smart locks or lock boxes. Airbnb has a function that allows you to choose someone to "co-host" the place for you so you can choose someone yourself or airbnb allocates someone for you (usually a superhost) or you can hire an Airbnb property manager.

With regards to how winter and summer compare, I don't really notice too much difference. Proactive pricing and differentiation is the key. :) The best way is to reduce competition by offering services other Airbnb hosts don't offer. For example, no. of people, payment methods, amenities etc.

Tell the guest that! Of course it's not good enough but most guests seems to be under the impression that it is even though when I try to investigate further, they said there is nothing wrong, just that nothing is perfect and that they thought 4 is a good score!

Last edited: 1st May, 2018
  15. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

do you guys allow guests who say they want to host a party? i'm new to being a airbnb host and i had someone message me. saying she wanted the house for a party for 15 guests. i declined the offer. but was curious to see what others do in those circumstances?

Cheers, Elives

16. Gockie

Absolutely not/no way/rather leave it vacant....

Ted Varrick, Elives and Ouchmyknees like this.
  17. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh...
    Party is a big no with the capital N. Did you read the news about the recent vandalism by teen parties at two Melbourne properties just one week apart?
    But on the other hand I think it is rather nice for this guest to be upfront about it, other people will probably just hold a party without telling you.
    I had a guest who asked me if she can bring her pet dog with her, I said no as mine is an apartment with carpet but I did thank her for being honest.

Elives likes this.
  18. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies! yea i did originally cancel it as i didn't think the $145 was worth the 15 guests haha. but she was up front about it so i thought i'd ask the question.

i've listed my property and have my first guest staying this weekend (6 guests) it annoys me cos it seems airbnb only make my property pop up if they search 5+ guests. so i think i will have my pricing low and hopefully be able to increase it to allow for the larger groups which seem i will only be getting. its a 3 bed house.

Question, just starting out is there any house rules that you guys would recommend having in place?

Cheers, Elives

19. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

I think if you want to be a good host, regardless of how much you can "outsource" you have to be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry patient as there are a lot of guests out there that really stretch your patience. Quite often I will receive a very annoying message / request that I will have a good whinge about but will always make sure I write back a friendly message to them and give in to their ridiculous requests because otherwise we risk a bad review which no one wants to get.

"We must have two fresh towels each day"
    Response in my head: "Lady you're paying $85 a night for a beautiful well located apartment for two people. This isn't a 5 star result"
    Actual response sent: "So sorry! We will have our cleaner deliver some additional towels tomorrow"

:)

Elives likes this.
  20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Our towel changes are are every 2nd day (as per the terms on the website), should you require additional towel changes these can be provided at $25/day.

Don't say no but leave the option up to them.

Perp likes this.