Airbnb Pricing?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by GreatPig, 24th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

Can someone explain how Airbnb pricing works when booking a room?

If I look at a room stating US$85 a night, with the only extra fee being $22 for cleaning, then put in dates for two nights (one or two people - makes no difference), the total shows as US$270 right now, or US$353 in a couple of months.

Another listing in the same area shows US$31 a night, with extra fees of $17 cleaning and $105 security deposit, yet when I put in dates for two nights, the total shows as US$131 now, or US$176 in a couple of months. Seven nights in a couple of months is US$567.

What's making the price double or more the displayed nightly price when I put in dates? (I'm using the Android app). I gather Airbnb has a fee, they say something like 6-12%, but that doesn't explain the huge increases.

And how does the cleaning fee work? Is it a one-off for a short stay? And with a longer stay (eg. a month), would you have to request extra cleaning when you wanted it, or would it be periodic?

Thanks.

GP

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The owner can set prices for each night... so the prices in the future nights might be higher... all depends on what they think is the demand.

3. GreatPig

Thanks, that makes sense, but how do they come up with the displayed nightly price with no dates entered then? For everything I've been trying, putting in dates for any month, including right now, the total shown gives a nightly rate more than double the one shown without dates.

GP

4. Ben_j

Ben_j Well-Known Member

There's generally also a higher price on weekends too which may explain the increase in price.

5. Gockie

The owmer puts in a nightly price into Airbnb but the rate set for each individual night can be anything... so if you don't specify a particular date, it will show that price...

Wanqi508 likes this.
  6. GreatPig

Thanks @Ben_j. Is there any way to browse the nightly prices, or only by putting in dates?

GP

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2016
  7. GreatPig

So they can set a very low default rate that you can never in reality get? Sounds like a bait-and-switch tactic to me...

Obviously I need to browse with dates set.

GP

8. Gockie

Only by putting in the dates is how you will get the accurate pricing....

They can... wildly differing prices will **** most people off more than anything. At the same time, if you offer the rooms at a discount to your normal price, the guests will only see the real price after they put in the dates. But they will see the actual price anyway. So if you have particular nights to stay in mind, put them in.

9. GreatPig

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Also book early. A host has the option to reject any guest without having a reason. If you haven't stayed Airbnb before you won't have a rating and this will decrease your chances of acceptance.

11. GreatPig

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.