Airbnb opportunity - self isolation letting or work from home letting?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Simon Hampel, 17th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I do wonder if there is an opportunity for people to offer self-isolation spaces via their Airbnb's?

A small apartment or granny flat could also be useful to some people forced to "work from home" if their home environment is not ideal for work (especially if the kids are home from school!).

Could be better than not getting any income at all and you'd need to make sure the place is well cleaned afterwards.

I know I am certainly dreading the inevitable time where schools are closed - I work from home full time and rely on the kids being out of the house from about 8:30am until after 3pm every day to ensure I get some quiet time to concentrate on my work.

Even just school holidays are going to be difficult with all the usual plans for the kids going out the window due to lockdowns and general virus fears.

I wouldn't able to take advantage of moving to an Airbnb because my wife is a front-line health worker and extremely busy right now, so if the kids are stuck at home, I have to look after them. We don't want to ask the grandparents to come and look after the kids either - too risky.

But for other people (particularly executives), it might be an option?

Just an idea anyway.

Perthguy, Christina46 and thatbum like this.
  2. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yes. I just got a booking at the airbnb today for a group traveling from overseas to self isolate for 14 nights.

Gockie and Simon Hampel like this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Might want to pass on a disinfection charge as well lol

Perthguy likes this.
  5. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

Similarly, I had an overseas visitor for 12 nights recently.

I'm actually surprisingly fully booked till May.

Perthguy and Gockie like this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just wait though, some of them may cancel.

Sook likes this.
  7. thydzik

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Already have. Lol.

Also, to decontaminate afterwards

[​IMG]

9. thydzik

interesting updated airbnb listing
    airbnb snipe.PNG

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Big piece on this in AFR yesterday.

Apartment residents across Australia are angry that their buildings could be turned into high-risk viral hot-spots, as Airbnb hosts offer self-isolation packages to returned overseas travellers. Community leaders say housing potentially infected travellers who don’t want to put their families at risk during the two weeks of self-isolation puts apartment neighbours in unnecessary danger.

Airbnb hosts globally are reeling after a dramatic downturn in visitors due to travel restrictions and an Airbnb decision to waive cancellation fees for stays booked up to April 14 and possibly beyond. As a result, some hosts are compensating by offering special “self-isolation” packages – including stays in apartment blocks.

Airbnb packages risk creating viral hot-spots in apartments (I think CV stories are free to read)

11. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member

So. Me and the hubby have been living in airbnb since we came back from ROK in February. We can't go back to ROK (no flights pretty much and we have to travel to Singapore and ROK people are banned from there) so we are in limbo. Our PPOR is permanently rented and it looks like we are here until (at least) the end of May.

12. Gockie

Do you want another airbnb to rent? Happy to discuss if you pm me.

Butterfly88 likes this.
  13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

4 units in a block in Berchtesgaden Bavaria near Salzburg. Red Cross wants to book them for isolation. Its lower $$ but its blocked for 4 months. They are doing it across town as a flow over for hospitals and taking every "block" they can not isolated rooms or units. Treatment in isolation quarantine with nursing support before they fill hospitals. The germans know how to organise stuff.

Angel, craigc, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  14. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Across ‘town’ is generous Paul, Berchtesgaden is small & for those not familiar is mainly famous as the site of the Eagles Nest for Hitler in WW2.
    Agree seems a sensible idea though!

15. thydzik

James Bond likes this.
  16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

17. Simon Hampel

Nothing has changed.

The public health orders are clear: Public health orders | NSW Government

Do not travel for holidays.

It would still be acceptable for people working in essential services who need accommodation close to work or people needing to care for others who need accommodation, to stay in an Airbnb.

Media beatup.

DO NOT TRAVEL FOR HOLIDAYS - DO NOT STAY IN AN AIRBNB FOR HOLIDAYS. That is the message which should be made clear. The message is not that Airbnb is banned completely.

18. Sook

Sook New Member

It is now illegal for anyone in NSW to stay in an Airbnb or similar short-term letting agency accommodation, a government spokesman has declared.

Under the new coronavirus regulations, no one should be staying anywhere other than their own permanent home, and they could be fined or imprisoned if they were found to be breaking emergency rules.

Penalties to apply to occpant and owner. Offenders to be encouraged to be reported to NSW Police for summons and action to evict. "There's zero reason for someone to stay in an Airbnb," said a spokesperson for the Minister for Better Regulation and Innovation Kevin Anderson. "It's illegal to have any guests whatsoever.

Pretty clear really.

19. Gockie

Read this.
    No ban on NSW Airbnbs

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2020
    KateSydney and geoffw like this.
  20. Simon Hampel

That was old news and they already walked that back.

See this thread: https://www.propertychat.com.au/community/threads/nsw-govt-just-effectively-banned-airbnb-and-all-short-stay-accom.44969/