AirBnB Host or Short Term Accomodation Manager - Canberra

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Martin73, 11th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

Good morning - I'm looking for someone or recommendations of a firm to perform the role as an AirBnB host or short term accommodation manager for a 2 bedroom unit in the city in Canberra.

What sort of commission would I expect to pay for this service?

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

About 20% is the norm - includes meet/greet, cleaning, etc.

I might have someone providing this service later in the year - watch this space!

Cheers

Jamie

Curoch, D.T. and mcarthur like this.
  3. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

yeh i looked in Canberra a few months ago and couldnt find any...good idea for a business.
    tho something like what @teetotal is offering is probably better imo (not that he covers canberra, so its off to gumtree), where you can hopefully find a reliable and flexible cleaner, thats what i need, the managing side of it is really not that hard.

teetotal likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Try Airtasker or there's usually a keen local facebooker?

For mine, I had neighbours (stay at home mums)... absolutely perfect people to manage the properties.

5. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Thanks @S1mon we are getting more cleaners and housekeepers signing up from each city but its taking time. Canberra will be soooooon too, we'll prioritise it...:):cool:

6. Jamie Moore

My wife just launched an Air BnB property management business on the Sunshine Coast - she'll likely be rolling it out in Canberra at some point.

Cheers

Jamie

Curoch and Gockie like this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

What do you mean by management?

Some of the responses to the thread seem to imply that it's just cleaning. Different Airbnb hosts have different ideas about what management is. Some will meet the client at the property and explain everything. Others will just leave a key. It depends on whether you want to outsource bookings or do that yourself.

Cleaning can be done by a third party.

A property without anybody available if the fridge breaks down or if the client is stuck somewhere without transport is less likely to do well.

You would need to define what you expect from a manager.

8. Angel13

Angel13 Well-Known Member

Hey Jamie,

Do you still live in Canberra or are you living on the Sunshine Coast now?

9. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie, would love to hear more about it especially the Canberra potential. Possibly looking at converting the house and flat to full Airbnb and can't manage it as living overseas.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  10. Jamie Moore

I'm in between :)

I'm currently living on the Sunny Coast but still have my office in Canberra which I frequent - and my business partner works out of it.

By utilising technology I can keep all my existing and new customers happy :) most of my dealings are now via online/phone/skype. It's so much more efficient for all involved.

Cheers

Jamie

Angel13 likes this.
  11. Angel13

Angel13 Well-Known Member

I bet you are enjoying the weather much better. It's starting to get pretty fresh here. It always starts in May.

In my twenties live on the Sunshine Coast. I started in Maroochydore, then Alex, then Buderim.

12. Waterstreet

Waterstreet New Member

Hi Jamie

Im wondering whether your business has launched Airbnb management service in Canberra.

My parents have been renting out several apartments in Canberra through Airbnb, and they will move back to Sydney. They arw looking for some reliable Airbnb cleaning/management service provider in Canberra.

13. Jamie Moore

Hi there - we'll be doing more research into it over the next few months. Hopefully we'll have some reliable/quality cleaners and other contacts soon.

14. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

Hi @Jamie Moore - any success with your research? I've got someone with a 1 bedder in the Monterey Complex in Reid looking for someone to actively manage their property. thanks.

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2018
  15. Jamie Moore

Hi Martin

No :-( Been too busy with Pass Go and my wife's Air BnB business on the Sunshine Coast is keeping her flat out.

Cheers

Jamie

16. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

There is no reason why you should not be able to get a full service managing agent for somewhere between 18-22% ,they organize the cleaners and linen changes, any repairs and deal with all the email and phone correspondence and are the point of contact for guest bookings.
    With the advent of good online booking portals, cleaners and linen hire companies all use the portal to see which apartments need to be cleaned each day , there is virtually no need for phone calls or emails between the managing agent and it has brought down the cost for managed properties over the last 10 years
    Many will have their own website , which may also be listed on Stayz , many of these are also on booking.com and others. Airbnb is slowly going the same way as it tries to attract more homes, much of its recent growth is just reselling homes and apartments from other websites and an extra commission is just added to the price.

Curoch likes this.