Airbnb Growth Slows

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by geoffw, 17th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

2. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

On the contrary, I think Airbnb is gradually getting more recognition and it is definitely getting a niche market of people visiting relatives in the area. Half of my guests are older couple who has never used Airbnb before and coming from interstates to visit their kids who lives nearby but do not have a spare room. I adore my ma and pa guests. :)

Pentanol likes this.
  3. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Has AirBNB affected the hotels ?

4. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

5. geoffw

The original article was only about the slowing of growth in Airbnb. Even the slowed down growth is 3%.

Hotels have long been in opposition to Airbnb, regardless of whether there is an actual impact on their business or not. Their actions are based perhaps a lot more on perceived threat than an actual threat. Figures which come from unbiased sources are difficult to come by. While there are people who are travelling only because it's more affordable or because Airbnb provides a different experience, there are others who would have otherwise have stayed in hotels. I've had three trips in Australia recently where I've stayed Airbnb because it's cheaper; my next trip I'm making only because it's more affordable.

Hotels are a well funded and organised group. One should not underestimate their influence.

Governments which collect tax on hotels would also be looking at collecting a similar tax on Airbnb. This may well close the differential.

Many cities have restrictions on Airbnb. Some of these are based on opposition from owner bodies as well as from hotels.

6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Since AirBNB have any PC been hesitant in buying properties with hotels as tenants ?

7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

They need to fix their damn servers. The 3 times I tried to use them a few months ago their site was so laggy. They need to realize when people are in a rush and need to book they can’t be sitting around waiting for the site to come back up. What a joke.

8. geoffw

I've had problems with slow servers in hotels too, especially in the restaurants.

James Bond likes this.