Airbnb FAQs

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by samiam, 6th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

just quick Qs @Gockie @Depreciator
    What do you think of separate shared laundry in Airbnb apartments? A bit less glamorous I know but do they really need to use it anyway if they are staying only a couple of days...
    What do you think of just providing clean linen but guest have to make/change sheets?
    Thanks

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Shared laundry would generally be ok, guests are generally happy to have some sort of laundry facility.
    As a host I personally would put the sheets on... For a little effort it presents much better imo.
    A good percentage of guests take the sheets off and also take the used towels to my laundry space on the day when they are about to leave which is nice.

The (very) occasional guest brings their own sheets to use (I don't quite understand that) and occasionally I get guests asking if they have to bring their own.
    And a tip. As a host... If you are going to be washing everything get yourself the biggest capacity washing machine you can. And note that occasionally I make use of the fast cycle. Especially if there's a lot of laundry....

samiam and Heinz57 like this.
  3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Stayed in a holiday let over Christmas. It was magic but had to take everything:
    Sheets
    Towels
    Beach towels
    Tea towels and dishcloths
    All cleaners / detergents
    Food basics e.g. Tea bags
    Ice cube trays
    Toilet paper
    Bin liners
    Frankly it was exhausting loading the car and wouldn't do this again.

Looking at holiday letting as a business and it was a real eye opener

legallyblonde, wobbycarly and samiam like this.
  4. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Thanks Gockie. Do you pay yourself for washing etc?? How do you add those for tax return? I am thinking of Airbnb but likely to outsource those for tax purpose (our tax bracket is high, also looking of doing it in trust/abn but cost is not cheap)

5. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Good point - best to provide the basic items for convenience. Who would want to carry or go out and buy!

6. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

True !!
    Not only these items but things like Iron, hairdryer make a lot of difference. When we stay somewhere these are the things we make sure are also provided.

Cheers

samiam likes this.
  7. Gockie

Give me a dollar for every time an enquirer asks if I have a hairdryer...

8. Gockie

I find stuff seems to accumulate at my places... people don't bother taking sauces home. Have to get rid of stuff constantly.

9. Gockie

For my Sydney place, no I don't claim for washing.
    For my Qld place I pay my manager to do that stuff and she invoices me.

Tip: If you have a turnover of 75k in a fin year, you are supposed to be registered for GST. So doing 2 short term lets can tip you over 75k. I have one property owned in a company/trust and the other under personal name so that should be ok.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You cant "pay yourself". You can only claim the actual costs of washing materials or commercial costs.

The property would need to be owned by the trust. No ABN is needed and likely you arent entitled to one either. Get advice.

samiam likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Residential rent isnt a supply that is counted to thresholds and there is no GST on resi rent either. Resi rent is input taxed. If you dont know what that means you should seek guidance.

12. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

ok thanks. I have contacted my usual accountant - hope they have some answers

13. Gockie