AirBnB Community Committment

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by herenow, 30th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. herenow

herenow Well-Known Member

So AirBnB have recently released a 'Community Committment' against discrimination. Which seems to be loosely translated as 'you must accept all bookings'.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1523/general-questions-about-the-airbnb-community-commitment

AirBnB hosts and users haven been given the option of sign or cancel your account.

I expect this will lead to the withdrawal of a lot of single rooms in someone's house options. I'd certainly want some control over who I let in my 'space'. As a guest I wouldn't want to be where I'm not welcome either.

Seems like it has been released in a rather hasty manner. It's sign it or don't use airBnB, but at the same time they're apparently open to feedback.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I can't see the problem. It's just a commitment not to discriminate, due to race etc - which is actually supported in Australia by law.

3. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

i think the age thing will suck, i know a lot of people that do airbnb don't like doing it for people under 25. specially in a body corp environment

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree on age.
    Interestingly, Airbnb put in their email on someone who requested to book that the guest was actually 25 or over just recently. So was that a mistake - left hand not talking to the right hand?

Disagree on this. If the request doesn't fit my calendar well (eg. Its a request for a 2 guest short stay that also leaves a 2 or 3 night gap before or after their stay), i'm not so inclined to accept.

There are controls so that you can get only longer stays but entering that into the system and additionally choosing what specific days people can checkin and out is more work. I like to see how long every enquiry wants to stay. If that same request was for 6 weeks, or for 3 or 4 guests, (as I get an extra $15 per person per night over 2 guests), then I would be more inclined to take that booking, even though it might leave me a 1-3 night gap beforehand.

I know I can fill all nights if I want to so I might as well try to make it make me the most money with the least effort.

I think people who discriminate against race can be caught if a person tries to book and gets told it's not available, then their friend does something similar on the same listing and gets accepted.

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2016
  5. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Sounds like one of those fluffy 'good corporate citizen' things that won't have much practical impact on anything.

Ed Barton likes this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

This has come about from people refusing bookings based on the applicant's racial background.

I have been refused bookings a number of times- even after a booking has been accepted.

I don't know whether there's a genuine reason. It may be because I'm an older male travelling alone in areas well known for pretty women and drugs (probably the same reason I was pulled aside for a full body scan at a Colombian airport). Or it may just be that I didn't have any background in Airbnb at the time. Perhaps that upcoming booking in Jerusalem (with my wife this time) was refused because I'm not Jewish? Or because she is Mexican?

It would be very hard to police. Either an owner has no right of refusal for any guest for any reason; or they can state that they really have a reason for refusing Hamid or Rakesh or Nkome which has nothing to do with their racial background; or that they are only refusing Peter and David because they have another event on that weekend.

Airbnb requires hosts to agree to new nondiscrimination policy
    Airbnb tackles bias

7. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

For some time Airbnb have been getting tougher with cancellations. They ask hosts the reason a reservation is declined. There are boxes to tick - wrong dates, uncomfortable with the guest (that's a vague one), accommodation 'doesn't meet guests needs' i.e. they have kids and want to stay in a place that has a no kid policy.
    I got a rap over the knuckles and a threat recently because I had turned down 10 requests in a row to stay. Some of them had little kids, and that doesn't work at my place. Several were photographers hoping for a cheap location. Half of them were for people wanting to stay before Christmas when the place is booked. So they make an enquiry with dates next year but say in the message something dopey like, 'I actually want to stay in December, not April, but you are booked in December.' So I have to cancel the enquiry and message them, 'Yes, it's booked, you dill.'

8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Lol!

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I get the same.

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm wondering if the terms make no practical difference. All they are doing, following on from the discrimination claims, is making sure that they are not liable themselves to any discrimination claims. The onus is now on the host or guest.