Air Conditioning Unit in rental 26 years old

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Silke DW, 25th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Silke DW

Silke DW Well-Known Member

Model AST14RNA-W - Manufactured 1994

This is our first hot summer in the property and our first attempt to use the unit to cool the house down.
    Even on its coldest setting, the air coming out of the unit is room temperature at best.

What are my options? I am the tenant. Located in inner west of Sydney. The LL recently declined my request to replace a cracked window so I doubt they would acquiesce to a request to replace the unit but it's so far gone it's ridiculous.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Isn't it obvious? If it doesn't work, ask them to fix or replace it. You still need to do that even if you don't think they'll comply.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd request repair or replacement. If they refuse, take it further or issue a notice to leave (without penalty).

We got about 20 years out of our ducted system, until it stopped working. Your landlord is going to have to fix it or replace it. If you do leave, he might rip it out completely and try to rent the place without aircon, but he's going to have to address the issue one way or another.

AxeLy, Dan Wood and bmc like this.
  4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Maybe the unit just needs a service and re-gas, your property manager should be able to get approval for that I would think.

5. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

Phoenix Pete, Stoffo, Redwing and 2 others like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Probably just requires a service as per @Mel Morgan.

Most units will struggle on a 35-40 Deg day.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  7. BradH

BradH Member

What the hell is that noise? Is that coming from the comoressor or the 2 fans?

8. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

The servicing would be relatively easy.

The re-gassing might not... because it's an old system that would 99% have R22 as the refrigerant gas and not all air conditioning companies carry R22.

To re-gas the ducted system would require around 10-12kgs of R22, and as it is a refrigerant that is being phased out due to the effects on the ozone layer, climate change etc, the cost of R22 is rising all the time (last I saw it goes for around $250.00 ish per kg). This might not be a sensible thing to do considering the noise that thing is making and the likelihood of more repairs due to the old age of the unit.

Michael Mitchell likes this.