Air conditioner needs replacing

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by JesseT, 12th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

Recently had new tenants move into a property I have in Logan.
    The property was advertised as having air con, within 1 week they notified the property managers that the air conditioning system was no working.

Managers have sent out their Air Conditioning Mechanic to inspect the system and he has diagnosed a faulty compressor and recommended that the system be replaced.
    Current system is 9 years old, he has quoted the installation of a 7.0kw Mitsubishi split system for $2491.50 which seems quite reasonable.

I'm happy to have this replaced but just wanted to put it out to the PC community to offer any advice or share their own experiences as it is quite a large expense and right on Christmas.
    I have asked for a second quote in case the first one was misdiagnosed, if he comes up with the same fault and similar quote, I plan to go with the cheaper.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The compressor has gone. Unless a compatible compressor cannot be found then you would replace the ac not just one component.

The ac unit should last 20+ years.

3. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Is it a split system in a room or whole house aircon? 7KW is big
    From what I have read, a repair can be depreciated in that year, brand new takes 10 years.

4. Wall Street

Wall Street Well-Known Member

Yep - 7kw is pretty massive!

You won't be renting out a house - you'll be renting out a refrigerator :cool:

5. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

I just did a 3kw in a bedroom for $1040.
    We might have the same PM so might be the same guy. I can send you he's name if want

6. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me, one week into a new lease the air con dies and is cheaper to replace then fix. This is in Southport and the weather is very similar to Logan... it can get very hot during the Christmas/New year break. Replaced it with a slightly bigger/better model, grumbled about the cost for a day or two but I want the tenant to be comfortable and stay long term.