Air conditioner installation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 1st Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

I'm adding an air conditioner to a property. My understanding is that split systems are best; need to do a little more research on this point. There's two ways to arrange the job. I buy the air conditioner and then have a suitably qualified person install it, or I get the person to supply and install. Is there a certificate that should be checked prior to engaging someone? Is it best for me to buy the air conditioner and have it installed or to go for a package deal? TIA

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've done both ways. These days with a couple of trusted air-con guys, we get them to buy it, pick it up and install it.

Tranquilo likes this.
  3. Chase71

Chase71 Well-Known Member

Get a qualified installer to quote for complete installation.
    You wont save anything by buying the unit yourself. Installer will get it at less trade price and mark it up slightly. The price will still be cheaper if you buy it yourself.
    The installer will need an Arctick licence and electrical license. He should display his number and then you can search his details on the below site if you know his surname.
    Home | ARC Industry Site

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We always get the installation as part of the package. That way, if anything goes wrong, you don’t get the disputed as to where the fault lies. Otherwise the manufacturer blames the installer, and the installer blames the manufacturer. You can be caught in the middle.

Worked out well for us last time. We chose a unit, paid for installation as part of the deal. When the installer phoned to arrange the installation, he advised us that the unit we chose was unsuitable to mount above ground on brackets (which we wanted) due to vibration. Apparently the retailer should have told us. We returned the unit and changed it for the one the installer recommended. No problems.
    Marg

neK and bashworth like this.
  5. Matthew D

Matthew D Well-Known Member

From a pricing point of view -
    Supply & Installation would be the best IMO.

Otherwise, if you're charged less than $450 for a basic 'back to back' installation and source the unit for a very decent price then it would be best to source your own and get installation separately. (Feel free to msg me if you would like to know if you're getting a good price on the unit)

(Sydney)

6. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

I have done both ways and no issues so far. Sometimes the retailer or manufacturer have cashback promotion which exclude purchases made through the installer channel, I would buy the unit myself to get the cashback and engage the installer just for installation. Normal circumstance, just get the package all in one order.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some installers wont like some cheapy units. Bunnings also offer sale and install services in store but its always subject to back to back install and power supply AT the unit. All covered by warranty and licensed tradies unlike say Bumtree or LoPages where its a luckydip of low cost wannabees.

8. Chase71

I would steer away from cheaper brands. Stick to the known brands Daikin, Mitsubishi or if your after something cheaper with cashbacks Fujitsu. The rest don't rate in my book
    You get what you pay for when it comes to A/C products.
    After sales service is also very important.
    I've been in the industry for 30 years in a technical and unit quality capacity.
    The recommended installers from the leading brands will offer you a free quote. Then you can do the math.
    Either way sooner is better then later. When the heat hits the price of installation will increase or you will have to wait.
    Good luck with whichever way you choose to go

9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I bought my 2 units (20% off during certain time in winter) and find the installer - this is for PPOR. Panasonic is also a good brand to consider.

For IP I’d get supply and install - less hassle and only one point of contact.

10. Burramys

Many thanks. Your advice is very useful. I've been away, far from computers, hence the delay in replying.

11. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

The type of system Split or Ducted depends on the size of the house and how many rooms plus if you live in a cold climate or a hot climate.

In our old 2bdr unit, 2 small splits did the job

In our old 4bdroom smaller house a 14kw Ducted was good but being 10yrs old and the cheapest Actron unit, it cost a lot to have running and was noisy every time it started up which was often as it shut off once at temp and restarted one it dropped / raised a degree or two

We now have a 19kw 3 phase ducted Actron installed in my 4 bedroom, 2living and large kitchen house and it works a treat, I can close of the rear of the house and then I turn of those vents and just have the 4 bedrooms on and it works a treat.

I did pay to have 2 extra sensors installed to help even out the temp as the one sensor in the middle doesn't compensate for the direct sun at the back of the house.

Install and supply cost was $16,000, its whisper quiet and works well, haven't had a hot day yet in Sydney in the last few months but expect that even on a 40deg day it should work well.

12. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Fujitsu 5Kw/6kw heating cooling aircon on promotions with $250 cashback with Betta. Advertised price $1399. By far the cheapest for a Fujitsu unit.

13. Burramys

Thanks. The job will not be done until mid- to late-January. I want to get quotations now so the companies know the job and can quickly provide a current quotation in January, or I may select one soon and lock in a date. One quote so far, $3900 including GST for a Daikin Inverter split system FTXM35QVMA, supplied and installed. I need a few more quotations.

I'm really grateful for the advice above to get the installer to find the air con unit. This is so much simpler and easier for me, and most probably costs less.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  14. Chase71

Burramys

Are you sure $3900. You should be able to get this model installed under $2000. Its only a 3.5 Kw R32 Split System.

Like I have mentioned before "Supply and Demand". If you choose to get a unit installed in the middle of Summer expect to pay premium rates. During Summer the Trade is backlogged from 2-3 months. Installers can name their price because they know people will pay it.

15. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Definitely get multiple quotes for the install as they can range from $650 to $1500+ and largely depends on the difficulty of the the installation.
    Humble brag - I got a Fujitsu 5KW reverse cycle split system installed last weekend, paid $1100 for the system and a carton of beer for the install - helps to have mates in the air-con biz :D

EN710 likes this.
  16. Chase71

[a carton of beer for the install - helps to have mates in the air-con biz :D]

Every install I done cost me a case of beer also which I drunk after I installed the units myself.

Best economy is the beer economy

Lindsay_W likes this.
  17. Burramys

For some reason I'm not getting email advice about posts, and I have been distracted with other things. The quotation is a lot as the air con will be installed about six metres above the ground, scaffolding. I'm getting more quotations.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  18. Chase71

Burramys

Just be careful if you install 6 meters off the ground. It is the owners responsibility to supply safe access to the unit if a repair is needed. There are restrictions to using ladders under work place health and safety so you may be required to fork out for scaffolding again at some stage

EN710 and Lindsay_W like this.
  19. Burramys

Thanks. I'm well aware of the OHS aspects. Scaffolding will be needed as the wall has a path too narrow for a lifting device. I've had to hold off getting quotations as that part of the room has new decorations - moving boxes.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia