Air Con supply + install from the bulky goods stores (Good Guys, JB, Appliance Online, etc)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Orion, 11th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Looking at putting in Air Con for a tenant.

My PM's supplier seems about $400-500 more expensive than the big retailers (assuming a $700-750 install on a 7.1kw unit), although I can't seem to find a big retailer that also offers installation. They'll deliver and that's it. I want to make my PM's life easier and get an all-in-one supply + install.

I've asked her for a install only price from one of her trades.

Does anyone know of a big retailer that does both? Good Guys, JB, Appliances online, Beta and Bing Lee don't appear to.

Thanks!

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Bunnings can supply and install subject to the site . The best price is back to back split with electricity supply ready. The further the external unit is from inside unit affects price. As does electrical supply distance and and a possible separate circuit.

Bunnings Trade Desk can assist with supply + install

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We bought an air con from the Good Guys and included installation in the invoice. One payment to them.
    Marg

4. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Which suburb is the property? Bunnings have Mitsubishi 7.1kw $1550 install is usually $500-600 back to back unless you need a new circuit run for it.

What's the price you PM is quoting?

5. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I bought 4 air conditioners through Good Guys Fyshwick and arranged installation through them for all of them.

6. Matthew D

Matthew D Well-Known Member

Hey @Orion
    What city is the property located in?

The big retailers don't 'install' though they will get one of their subcontractors to install it.

7. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Another vote for the good guys. Some of the quotes I have received from various PMs installers have been outrageous.

Orion likes this.
  8. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Add me to that list.

I was quoted $900 - $1,000 to install a 7.1kw system. Insane. I was expecting $750ish.

Thank you for the Bunnings tip - they look the best. $1550 for a 7.1kw Mitsu + install 'from' $659 = Total of $2,209 (assuming 'from' price, should be simple).

PM's guy was $2,750 - $541 more.

Michael Mitchell and Matthew D like this.
  9. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

At that size, you will need another circuit.

Any install without that component would be likely illegal

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  10. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, OK. What's the largest kw I could have without another circuit? 5kw OK?

Sure I'd like to get a nice big unit for my tenant but also good bang for buck.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How do you know 7kw is the right size unit? Too big can be as bad as too small.

12. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Air-Con install should be about $450 unless there's something complicating the job. It doesn't really matter how big the unit is. I've found the retailers installation costs to be a bit over-priced, by around $100-$200 depending on the job.

7kW should be fine to install on existing electrical, as long as the house and wiring isn't ancient. That's about the right size for any living area- too many people install 5kW units and they're under powered. Any air-con tech will be able to tell you roughly what size is necessary based on the dimensions of the areas that need to be cooled.

13. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

I don't understand. If it's too big, you've wasted some money, if it's too small, it'll never cool the house.

FYI it's a 20sq 4/2/2 mostly open plan, so I figured a 'Large Living Area' 7.1kw is required. Next step down seems to be around 5kw ('Small Living Area') and just not big enough.

14. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Sound like you need 7.1kw. The price difference is not much from 5 to 7.1 and the unit will probably last longer if its not working as hard, over 10 years the extra cost is nothing. Either way you are not paying for the power to run it I'd go the 7.1kw. Install should be about $500 plus the unit cost plus wall bracket if required and the new circuit. My electrician recommends Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. (you can get from Bunnings)

15. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

FYI some prices
    • Bunnings - Mitsubishi Elec, 7.1kw, basic back to back install = $1550 + $810 = $2,360
    • Harvey Norman (has promo) - Panasonic, 7.1kw, basic back to back install = $1,739 + $799 install - $300 install special = $2,238.
    Going HN.

Tenant is happy with $15pw rent increase, payoff period is 3 years.

16. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

In 20 sq. you mean the are of the living space.

At 7.1 Kw that’s 355watts per metre sq. on a 35 Deg C day massively oversized if correct even 5.0Kw is oversized. (Will cause high humidity on the off cycle)

Take the area of the living spaces and multiply by 110watts (use 150 if lots of glass in the room) per metre sq.

If 20 sq/m is correct that’s 2200 watts to 3000 watts as most air-conditioners these days are rated at ambient temperature of 46 to 50 Deg C so the 3.0 Kw would eat the heat load.

17. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no way a 7kw unit should be on an existing circuit.

It is a breach of the wiring standards.

Typically around 3.5kw would be the highest, however that also depends on the installation instructions of the manufacturer.

Whilst there are power calculations you can use to see if there is the capacity on an existing circuit, as soon as the manufacturer says it needs a separate circuit - you need a selerate circuit, no matter how big the unit is.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yet another reason to get professional advice from an air con tech. They actually study this stuff to get qualified.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  19. womble66

womble66 Well-Known Member

Old terminology for house size ……. 1 SQ = ~9m2 ,,,,,,,,, so 20 SQ = 180m2

So basically it's likely to be a smallish 4 bedroom home with a single open plan kitchen, living and casual dining area ~60m2 with the other part of the house being the beds, bath, laundry and garages.

7.1kw (~125w/m2) s probably OK for a stab in the dark and not taking onto account the actually house layout.

Rich2011 likes this.
  20. Chase71

Chase71 Well-Known Member

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.