AGM meeting minutes

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by tattoo, 14th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

what does 'motion deferred' mean in meeting minutes ?

I've been away and got the minutes to an IP that strata agent has been changed in an extraordinary meeting. Then the AGM that followed right after, all the motions were "motion deferred" - including minutes of last meeting, insurances, fire safety inspections etc.
    Was nothing approved and meeting at later date ? Is it because of the new strata agent ?

2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Contact your new Strata Manager, Strata Committee Secretary or Chair, and they will be able to give you a heads up as to what happened in this matter.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Maybe they didn’t get a quorum?
    Often hard to get owners to attend meetings.

4. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

I'd hazard a guess and say they're deferred for another meeting to be convened post-strata manager handover to the new one as it would be easier for the incoming manager to handle new motion actions going forward. What Marg said may also be the case.

Dan Wood likes this.
  5. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

yes probably, there were like 4 in attendance and 1 proxy

thanks all, I'll contact the new agent

6. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Depends on how many are in your building, off the top of my head you need 25% for quorum

7. Sofie519

Sofie519 New Member

A Quorum or a declaration of a quorum allows the meeting to start and all motions to be discussed, determined, finalised or deferred. Any motions that are deferred means for whatever reason, the owners decided not to make a decision on that motion.

If you are in the middle of changing agents, then that could be because different agents work with different companies and have different policies and procedures in place. The owners may want to let the New Agent organise the new insurances, and fire inspections etc. Owners Corporation still needs to maintain a current insurance policy, and be compliant with fire safety, so it doesn’t mean you are left without anything. They would have weighed the situation (e.g Insurances might not be due til next year etc)

Michael Mitchell likes this.