Agents with the crappy listings for sale. Are they the best or worst sales staff?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Barny, 4th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Been looking through listings and agents today, some agents get all crappy houses to sell.
    Does that make you the best sales person or the perhaps the worst?

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

You got to sell what you are given.

Better going through the sold section to see who is selling the most. Having the prettiest properties but not selling them doesn't make them a good REA.

legallyblonde likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If its crappy photos, i'd put that on the agent. Any good agent would have access to have excellent photos taken. (Note, if the tenant doesnt allow good access, what can you do? It just makes it hard). Worth seeing if its a constant theme from that agent or a one off.

Cluttered property - well, if its an owner occupied sale, I would have hoped they could have given tips to the owners to present the home better. It doesn't take that much effort to have a neat and tidy well presented house for the sale.

Bad layout/low side/busy location/noise etc.... I doubt agents can do any much about these factors except make suggestions to the owner so the property is exceptional in every other regard so a purchaser can maybe forgive/forget the hard to change faults! Sloping land is often a turn off for buyers but if the land is retained (like rice paddy terraces) and gardens manicured.... It could turn the negative into a positive because it looks good.

4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

This question is impossible to answer, "best" or "worst" are just personal perceptions and I'm not certain you can draw conclusions from how good looking the houses are.

I will say that a good sales person will write up sales copy and create a campaign highlighting the benefits of that property.

We are selling an extremely ugly house at the moment - but it has sea views and massive land size so who cares what the house looks like, knock it down and rebuild.

5. SmashedEconomy

SmashedEconomy Active Member

Any ***** can take a good photo - except your local RE agent it seems.

Barny, vbplease and luckystar like this.
  6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Port Elliot?

Xenia likes this.
  7. luckystar

luckystar Well-Known Member

The Toowoomba selling saga continues

8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

That's the one :)

Awesome views hey.

9. larrylarry

Is there actually a house on the land?

10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Yes there is.
    Knock down job.

11. larrylarry

Massive land. Scenic. Well over a million I suspect. ;)

Xenia likes this.
  12. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I have noticed that the same agents seems to get all the public housing sale contracts down here ;) Believe me, these are 'crappy' houses by any definition.

'Crap' listings have the least value... So I would assume they go to the crappier agents.

13. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that crap listings, odd shape blocks, homes that are not presented well and in need of money spent on em to fix em up. Or look less appealing. Not talking about bad photos, or Toowoomba.
    I notice this in every area, there's always a few agents which tend to sell more visually appealing homes with less maintenance required, and they have most listings up for sale or already sold.
    Then you notice the crappy listings tend to have the same agents selling em.

Does it take the best to sell the less appealing home? Or are these properties hand balled to the agents that aren't the top gun sellers.

14. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You may find that the owners of crappy properties are more fee sensitive and will choose the cheapest agents. The decision is based on price not ability to sell or lease effectively.

Blueskies and Barny like this.
  15. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

The the 'smart':cool: buyers snap them up and present them well to onsell!

16. SmashedEconomy

SmashedEconomy Active Member

Crappy houses mean nothing insofar as how skilful the agent presenting them is.

1. Senior agents get the cream - the expensive properties, which of course attract more commission.

2. are senior agents better than junior ones? Sometimes yes, often no.

3. Depending on the amount of work in the agency, an agent may be selling high to low level properties on any given week.

4.. A good agent is one who markets appropriately - proper price, photos, and buyer vetting, whatever the price of the property he/she is selling. Find one who can do all that and you are off to a good start.