Agents playing games

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 19th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

can anyone give me tactics to use against this type of agent
    Should i even bother ?

First of all this was mistake, i fell in love with the old tradional building, cornices , etc and the agent preyed on this i think.

1 large studio unit Kings Cross area was advertised $580,000

A few weeks ago i go to the open house and after tripping over the derelicts in the street and being asked for a dollar a few times i arrived.

Giving one desperate busker who had a sign up announcung he had a terminal illness i felt sorry for him giving him 50 cents only to have my hand slapped and abuse when i went to get my 50 cents change from his bucket !!

I fell in love with it immediately taking pics of the wood and tiles, situated in a seedy back lane i offered 540,000
    The following week the real estate agent said someone had offered $549,000 and they are sure if i offered 552,000 its mine

So i offered $552,000
    Now silly me paid for a lawyer to look thru my strata, she tells me there is special levys on the lsecurity doors this year approx $5296 as its a old building plus they are putting in security doors and video intercom

Now again last week the agent calls " Mr Davvid Mr Davvid, " im sorry someone has offered $555,000 , offer $560,000 and its yours.

I said i will offered $561,000 with no cooling off period and 7 days settlement and will put deposit on tommorrow

"Yes yes " said the excited agent , i talk to vendor he said.

Then monday he calls again , " you really want this place i know " he said, its a goldmine for the future , but someone i took through this morning offered $566,000 , can you go to $570,000? Even they the other buyers have offered no cooling off period he says .

By this time i was a bit peeved .

So i told him you know this isnt even a security building anyone can walk in and only has stairs its not even going to get $580,000 next year , plus the soecial levys,having looked at it i changed my mind .

Again he s calling that night , 9:51pm im asleep , "sorry to wake you but i talk to vendor and they really want you to buy it as the other is arranging finance but you need to get in quick .!!! he shouts excitedly down the telephone

Are you sure Cant u offer $570,000 ? " he says trying to make ne feel guilty

No , i said , no , im just lost interest i said ...
    But you "ll regret it he says ... It will be worth a million in a few years !

I put the phone down
    At 7.52am this morning he's back

Can u offer 575,000 ? The vendor says they will take this immediately !!
    "Really we could get over $600k he says but we want to sell !!

I had enough , i put the phone down , he kept ringing, i didnt answer

In some ways im regretting it, i loved the old character of that building, old stairaway , cornices, plastering etc , 1920!s tiles etc but this could go on and on and on , but nearly 4 weeks of making offers started to wear me out.

I even offered a 66w no cooling off period against my Lawyers advice .

Now i could up the price again or leave it , i chose to walk away BUT i know he's bluffing , how could he find these people going up in price everytime i made an offer.

Actually im sad but the price wasnt worth it ..."one day it will be" was the agents answer .
    "You"ll regret it he says ,

samiam and Elives like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

You have to know when to walk away

samiam and Sackie like this.
  3. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

... ?

BLTN and Hodge like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

He sensed an easy target who was desperate and ran with it. Like Perthguy said, you have to know when to walk away and turn the power around, making them come begging you and not the other way around.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Forget about the property.. and more importantly that agent !

Ring him back at 11.00pm tonight, ask him to meet you somewhere at 5.30 am to sign up. turn your phone off . When you do turn it back on, and delete his 50 messages, call him and apologise - you forget to tell him you bought something else last night after you spoke to him !

Nlang, wylie, FirstTimeBuyer and 3 others like this.
  6. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother calling him back... just block his number and let him wonder.

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  7. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Id send Moshe over to the agency to spit on the carpet. That will sure show the agent who's boss!

pinkboy

Hodge and samiam like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I had to re-read that one ;)

9. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Beautifully written drama that we all face;)
    Hard to walk away sometimes...
    Btw, I think I compete myself in last purchase but I will never know!

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would have a serious think about what hopefully your long term legal person has told you,the minute you take any interest in the property with the call ratio just learn to say no,.

11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

On the night before the next open house, jemmy the studio door and lure those derelicts into the place with flagons of wine. Sleep tight fellas lol.

Colin Rice likes this.
  12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you really want the place, go back to your last offer and submit that with a 12-24 hour accept it or forget it condition. Sounds as if all the other alleged offers are false.
    Marg

Luke T and Perthguy like this.
  13. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Surely he's taking the mickey?!

14. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

What attracts you to Kings Cross? I was in Darlinghurst on Monday morning. Some really beautiful terraces. Not sure about the apartments. So have you sold your 2 central coast properties and now buying back in Darlinghurst?

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If he doesn't buy back into Darlo or the Cross soon, he'll have to change his nick to @Coasty_Yavid

Luke T likes this.
  16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

What @Marg4000 said but I would make the offer at 552K considering the special levy, take it or leave it. Includes cooling off.

wylie and Luke T like this.
  17. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Sounds like you were bidding against yourself.

Colin Rice likes this.
  18. Magoo

Magoo Well-Known Member

Reverse bluff, text him and say thank you but you have found another property for $565 and the vendor has accepted. Paperwork is being finalised tomorrow. If he calls back your in...if not you know he has other interest and not just working you up against yourself.

wylie, Luke T and Colin Rice like this.
  19. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I would win that one everytime :)

20. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I said bidding against not playing with

Colin Rice likes this.