Agent told buyer their offer to the vendor was accepted, when it was not

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by CuriousityCat, 24th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. CuriousityCat

CuriousityCat New Member

I am the vendor. I am negotiating with a buyer on price. The agent has got the buyer to come up to a price close to what I want. But somehow, when giving me the buyer's last offer, the agent thought that I accepted it, and has told the buyer this. I only found out after calling back several hours after to ask for a bit more. The agent completely lost it at me, saying it was dishonourable, and told me that they did not want to deal with me any more, and hung up the phone.

Is this usual? How should I deal with it?

2. 738

738 Well-Known Member

Lol

Reckon we need both sides of the story here

3. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Wait for them to call back.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Get a new agent?

kierank likes this.
  5. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Sounds like you may have accepted the offer and then changed your mind. Sellers remorse!

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I hope you read all the fine print on the sales contract as the ink was drying at the start ,because all the flash in the pan adds you will pay for ..As far as dishonourable --make a appointment with who has the final say the person-persons who owns the real estate company because the sales agent has "SFA" say in the matter..And please learn how to say "NO" as you only have to say it once the same as YES..That's the difference between the block and the sharp axe the person with the sharp axe has total control as apposed to the person who's head in on the block as the "axe" swings down and wacko..

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Don't you have to sign your agreement to the offer in NSW?

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

For it to be an enforceable contract yes.

willair likes this.
  9. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

This! If its not in writing with a signature that you accept how is there proof?

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The agent should be working for you to get the highest price possible.

Nothing is final until contracts are signed.

Even if you verbally agreed, you are still entitled to change your mind. When my daughter bought her house, the seller reneged on the agreed price when presented with the contract. Daughter agreed to a higher figure, and again the seller refused to sign and wanted another $3K. Daughter was disgusted and refused. Several days later agent phoned back and said seller was prepared to sign for the last agreed figure. She really did not want to deal with the seller, but the house was exactly what they wanted so they proceeded to buy it. Agent was frustrated with the seller’s antics but managed to complete the sale.

Tell the agent to send you a written release from his agency agreement then list with another agent.
    Marg

willair likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.