agent report records

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Dean Collins, 13th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dean Collins

    Dean Collins Well-Known Member

    21st Feb, 2016
    New York
    Changes to the laws from August 2016 - Frequently_asked_questions_inspection_reports

    What I don't get is if the agent doesn't have to provide a copy.....then whats the point of keeping the records in the first place?

    It never ceases to astound me when you ask an agent for a copy of strata records etc the common response is....that's not my job to arrange this.
  2. D.T.

    D.T. Specialist Property Manager Business Member

    13th Jun, 2015
    Adelaide, SA
    That sorta thing would be provided as part of the form 1 here. NSW is a backward state ;)
    Dean Collins likes this.
  3. Russ

    Russ Well-Known Member

    22nd Oct, 2015
    the purpose of keeping the records is so that they can be accessed for various purposes. Such purposes include allowing inspectors to write a report for a prospective purchaser, providing evidence to be used in Tribunal and Court proceedings, establishing facts for resolving disputes through mediation, allowing an owner or their agent to search the records for their own purpose, and simply having a record of the history of a scheme so that unforeseen requirements can be met.

    Strata Managing Agents are paid around $20/month/lot - and for this have an actual job to do. Providing inspection reports at will is not part of that job. Those reports are provided by strata searchers who charge a fee for their time and expertise, and use the access to records - provided by the strata manager. The Strata Manager should be objective and a keeper of records for facts, not being drawn into interpretation for the benefit of vendor or buyer.

    is a very broad request. Buildings often have decades of paper records - mainly held in archive, and hundreds if not thousands of digitised records of written correspondence, work orders issued, invoices received, financial statements prepared, statutory and compliance filings, and more - and you want someone to send you all of this in what format?

    the South Australian form 1 has an equivalent in NSW, it's known as a s109 certificate and provides specified information about levies, insurance, etc. NSW has a lot of problems with regulation at the moment (building, certification, defects, etc) but your comment is uninformed, and South Australia is hardly a leading strata jurisdiction.
    Ted Varrick and inspiredbyprop like this.