Agent refusing inspection without pre approval

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by honourablepaper, 8th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. honourablepaper

honourablepaper New Member

Title is pretty self explainitory.
    We are not needing to get pre approval because we know with certainty we can aquire a loan and have have banks and our broker assure us so.
    Can the agent refuse us an inspection on these grounds?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You can raise it with reinsw or fair trading or similar.

but it doesnt help with this property. The market is hot enough that they can do things like this, maybe because its by appointment due to lockdown?

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The agent can refuse an inspection for any reason they want, but it's unlikely they'd use this.

A pre-approval is not a pre-requsite to purchasing a property. Some people don't need finance at all!

If they ask, just tell them that your finance is sorted and leave it there. Even if you do have a pre-approval, under no circumstances should you show the agent the confirmation letter.

4. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Contact the Owner to let them know their REA is hindering the sale process.

5. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Agents can't have opens in Sydney due to Covid and are only doing private inspections hence they only want serious buyers coming through the doors.

Did you call the agent and assured them that you are indeed a serious buyer?

If the agent is not taking you seriously, you probably don't want to do business with them anyways. As far as legality is concerned, they are under no obligation to organise private inspections for all interested parties given they can probably only manage a few.

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2021
  6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I'd do what Pete said - tell them your finances are sorted and go from there.

If they ask to see a copy of your pre-approval tell them to get stuffed. That's private info that contains information (loan amount you've been pre-approved for) that the agent could use against you during negotiations.

You could always provide your brokers number too - I've spoken to agents before to let them know client is good to go.

Cheers

Jamie

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.
  7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Tell them you have a pre-approval from your broker.
    Pre-approvals are by no means a guarantee of finance approval, most are not worth the paper they're written on.

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2021
  8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've gotta ask, is the finance actually sorted? Pre-approvals aren't usually necessary, but I've had plenty of people tell me that their finance won't be a problem, then when I dig into it, it's actually very tight. Lender's qualification critiera are substantially more stringent than what most people expect.

If you've consulted a broker or banker, that's fine. However if you've just done your own budget and decided you can afford it, you do need a professional to review your situation and verify this.

9. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Maybe not a good time to buy.
    I generally measure that by the arrogance of REAs. It's accurate most times.

Angel likes this.