Agent not communicating with keen buyers

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Homeowner69, 3rd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Homeowner69

Homeowner69 New Member

My home in Vic had a formal EOI of full asking price through an agent (subject to finance).
    I know as a fact that agent has not bothered to contact the buyer at all to follow up on their progress despite knowing they are serious about buying it. He is still bringing through viewers who are all also subject to finance with homes to sell, or dreamers with no means to buy, or people who are just putting lowball offers in. It has been on the market for over 2 months and he is still pushing home opens and private viewings.
    Should the agent be at least communicating with the interested buyers to establish their current status? I’ve asked him to follow them up seeing as we won’t get a better offer than full asking price at this stage. He seems reluctant to push further and keeps saying to wait and see what the next viewing brings.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Smells like a typical Vic Underquote

List price is x, actual price sold to the owner to get the listing is x + 10 to 15 %

ta
    rolf

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Very strange because usually agents are happy to close the sale (especially if seller is pushing) than waste more time on a listing.

Homeowner69 likes this.
  4. Homeowner69

Homeowner69 New Member

@rolf the agent originally over valued the property and we dropped the price. But he’s just not following strong leads. He will get a fixed price commission anyway so I can’t understand why he isn’t chasing leads? I’ve been offered a teaching job in Qld so need to move on and sell

5. Homeowner69

Homeowner69 New Member

yes that’s what I’m thinking too. I’m confused as to why he hasn’t called or contacted them once throughout the entire marketing time despite me asking about it daily?
    Should it be him (agent) calling them or should the buyer be calling her (the buyer) to advise their position?

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Its very weird and tbh doesn't make sense. I would be having a frank discussion with the agent right away if he has or hasn't contacted them and if not contact them right away.

It's just so strange. If the agent is still playing games, I'd talk to the principal of the agency. Something is not right.

Last edited: 3rd May, 2022
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

How do you know this? Did the potential buyers contact your directly?

The Y-man

8. Sanka

Sanka Well-Known Member

Override the agent and make it clear who is the decision maker. I think there is a communication gap between you and this agent. Time to micro manage a bit as a result.

9. Homeowner69

Homeowner69 New Member

The buyers are friends of a friend so we know this info directly from source

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Ask agent to meet with you and the agency principal. Express your concern and ask why. The vendor makes decisions about what offers to acecpt and what contract they sign. Not the agent.

craigc and wylie like this.
  11. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Is there a conflict of interest which the seller cannot see? Is the agent considering to do favour to their known party knowing the seller's circumstance to sell and willing to lose the legit buyer (friend's friend as quoted). May be I am thinking too extreme but everything else doesn't add up.

@Homeowner69 Is it possible to fire (or given them a hint that you would) the agent given that it is over 2 months and I would imagine that would be nearing their engagement contract term.

Stoffo likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree something definitely doesn't add up somewhere.

Homeowner69 likes this.
  13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Was the offer signed on the contract of sale ? (then it wasn't official !).
    Or just "word of mouth" from the agent ........

It's possibly a conditioning tactic, we have this full price offer (so you feel GREAT) but it doesn't eventuate (so the agent can then condition you to accept a lower price)....

Homeowner69 likes this.