Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Agent in a box

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Dylan33, 2nd Dec, 2015.

1. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

Hi.

Anyone ever dealt with 'Agent in a box ' or any of the other "sell it yourself " sites? What's your experience? Thinking of having a go myself. Any comments / advice welcome.

2. Mintle

Mintle Member

I sold a house with Agent in a box a while ago. I found it to be cheap, easy, and relatively stress free.

I took a number of photos on my phone, picked the best ones and wrote a basic description of the house for it to be uploaded to realestate.com.au. I did viewings by appointment only, but an open house would have been easy enough to do. Much like the real estates I made up a flyer for the property that I handed out during viewings and followed up interested parties with a phone call. If you've been to plenty of open houses you should have a pretty good feel for how agents run things.

Be aware that once you settle on a price with a buyer you will need to have a contract drawn up, and most of the solicitors I contacted in Qld had a 3-4 day turnaround. I was a little anxious waiting for the contract to come through so I could get it signed.

If you are confident negotiating price and have the time to handle enquiries and do viewings I would say go for it. The main benefit obviously is that there are no commissions to an agent which meant I could let the property go a little cheaper for a quicker sale, whilst still pocketing the extra that I would have paid in commissions.

joel likes this.
  3. Dylan33

Thanks Mintle. Can I ask which option you used and how was the support from them?

4. Mintle

Mintle Member

I went with the essentials package which basically gets you a listing on realestate.com.au and a for sale sign. The next level up was about double the price and I didn't think it was really worth it.

In terms of support, I wouldn't rate it that high but my experience with them was a bit limited. They offered a money back guarantee if your page views didn't reach a certain amount, but the catch was you had to have two conversations with one of their "property professionals" to get them to review your ad and make changes. I did the mandatory two calls just in case - the first call they told me to change my headline, and the second call they suggested changing the photo that appears first in the listing. Glad I didn't pay more for that advice.

Maybe if you went for the higher package it would be a bit better, I know they offer how-to videos and a bit more reference material for example, but I don't think it would be that beneficial if you're already savvy with real estate.

On the whole, its a great platform to sell your house cheaply and if you have the time and are comfortable with it, definitely worth having a shot at yourself.

5. Dylan33

I've just signed signed up with them. I'll let you know how I get on.

6. Dylan33

I've just excepted a good offer from a buyer. Very pleased with the whole process really . I went for the $700 package and learned from the instruction videos how to engage and negotiate with the buyers. I did put a lot of effort into the photos though, chose about a dozen from the heap I took and then spent some time cropping and enhancing them. So $1800 including legals to sell a 300k home. That'll do for me!

ellejay likes this.
  7. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

Did it take 4 months?

8. Dylan33

Just under. I'm in a small country town. Pretty flat market but happy with the result.

9. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

Fair enough! :)

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

To be honest, if you have lived in a place, your probably the best placed to sell it.

I have used agents so far, but I often stay at opens so I can answer questions and assist agents.

I think we may try this, do they operate the trust for deposits ?

Re country towns, with a lot of the people that call themselves agents, you would be far better off doing it yourself unless you know who the good ones are.

11. Dylan33

I have little trust in local agents. I don't think they can justify their commission anymore since the Internet revolution, who goes to an agents shopfront to view properties these days? You pay the same % in commission when half of them could run their businesses from the back bedroom!

Don't think agent in a box handles any deposits? We used a conveyancer.

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Ok, so you got buyer to place funds in the solicitor/conveyancers trust

13. Dylan33

The conveyancer takes care of it with the buyers solicitor. I just pass on the buyers details to the conveyancer and give my details to the buyer. My conveyancer draws up a new contract and sends it to the buyers people to be signed. Simple and cheap.