Agent didn't notify of Leak

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by funkychickendancer, 24th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. funkychickendancer

funkychickendancer Well-Known Member

My agent knew about a reported leak that was quite serious two weeks ago. It seems as though there has been a changeover between agents and I wasn't notified of the leak.

The leak has now caused cracking to the tile area of the bathroom and damage to my floorboards as it has been leaking for over two weeks (tenant turned water off between showers). As soon as I found out I got the leak fixed but I am wondering if the agent is responsible for the damage to the unit?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

How did you find out?

While I think the agent should have gotten to you straight away, I can't see how tile and floor damage could happen in 2 weeks. It would have to have been happening for (many) months.

The Y-man

3. funkychickendancer

funkychickendancer Well-Known Member

I spoke to the new agent taking over, she told me about the leak and subsequent damage from the leak. The edging where the tiles meet the floorboards has sogged off. The water has also gotten under through this area and now the tiles are loose/falling away.

I asked her how the damage happened so fast and when she was notified and she forwarded me the email that the tenant sent her time stamped two weeks ago.

The leak was quite significant and she was using the mains to turn the water on/off

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Insurance claim?

Stoffo and The Y-man like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No the leaking tap was the cause of the damage and while the agent didnt assist they didnt cause the damage either. Its debatable that they even contributed to it being worse. So to avoid a legal dispute just move on. Its probably been happening for ages and may well be covered by insurance (the wall and floor repair etc, NOT the leak). The damage is likely rotten timber and wall and will mean the framing & wall needs to be replaced and rewaterproofed. New tiling etc. ie it wont be cheap. Tenant would probably prefer that to a cheap dodgy fix. Your cost is a excess or two.